or Connect
Green Options › Forums › Climate Change › Myths › 2012

post #1 of 17

Ok I know it's not a very 'official' or important myth, but it's one that really bugs me. Why do so many people seem to think the 2012 prediction has to do with global warming? Almost every day on Yahoo someone asks about 2012 and puts it in the global warming section.

Has anyone ever seen a TV show or news article that made this connection?

post #2 of 17

I might be totally wrong but many people think that 2012 is more about humanity's spiritual awakening and part of that awakening will be a changed attitude towards the environment. So in that sense, yeah,  maybe there is a connection...

I think Daniel Pinchbeck talks about the environment in his book, but I haven't finished reading it.

post #3 of 17

Something about Mayan predictions and climate change, I believe.  I found this site, which hit my funny bone:

http://2012news.com/?p=59

But the one below is more grounded, and speaks of solar cycles peaking around 2012.  Perhaps various myths have blurred together.  I don't believe that most who refer to them have much of a clue what they're talking about, anyway.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SolarCycle/SC24/PressRelease.html

Edited by amyloc - Fri, 2 Jan 2009 17:04:35 UTC
post #4 of 17

It is a Mayan thing.  Some people say the Mayan calendar ends on Dec 21, 2012.  According to this website:

The Mayan calendar is based on cycles within cycles within cycles. What happens in 2012 is the ending of a major cycle. For the Maya 2012 is the ending of what is known as the Great Cycle. The GreatCycle is a 5,125 year cycle that began at the date 13.0.0.0.0 on the Mayan calendar. Modern day media has tagged this date as "2012 Doomsday"...

Mayans say that this whole cycle of civilization 5,125 years comes to an end on the Winter Solstice December 21, 2012 A.D.

So anyway, because of the Mayan calendar people associate 2012 (and particularly December 21st of that year) with some kind of doomsday.  Then they think about what could cause a doomsday, and I guess the main thing that comes to mind is global warming.  Or perhaps they're trying to suggest that fears about global warming are no more reasonable than fears of a 2012 doomsday.  Regardless, they're just being dumb.

post #5 of 17

I guess I'm a little out of the loop on the whole 2012 thing.  How funny...sounds like another Y2K thing.

I suppose if it makes people more inclined to take action to address climate change, then great.  But...on the whole, it just seems superstitious.

post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stins:

I guess I'm a little out of the loop on the whole 2012 thing.  How funny...sounds like another Y2K thing.

I suppose if it makes people more inclined to take action to address climate change, then great.  But...on the whole, it just seems superstitious.

Yeah it's similar, except there was a real concern with Y2k (a lot of computer code did need to be changed), whereas there's really nothing to the 2012 thing.

It reminds me of my grandmother, who's a super religious born-again person.  A couple years back around christmas time she was telling a bunch of us that the world was about to end.  I think it might have even been 2 consecutive years.  Well, the world is still here, but she still goes to the same church that told her it was going to end.  I don't know how you reconcile that.  If I went to a chuch that told me the world was about to end, and it didn't happen, I'd be so out of there.

Anyway the 2012 doomsday thing reminds me of that, except it's more of a rumor than a religious thing.  On December 22, 2012 everyone will just write it off and move on.

Unfortunately people are using it as a reason not to do anything about global warming.  Basically they're just saying global warming is a silly doomsday prediction just like the 2012 thing.  But really, most people don't know and/or care about the 2012 thing, and only the most extreme even associate it with global warming.

post #7 of 17

The only 2012 theory I have studied is the Mayan Calendar end date.  And as far as I can tell, there is no current accepted theory connecting their prediction of the end date to global warming.  I have heard there are other cultures as well that focus on this year, but I studied Central and South American art so I don't know about the others.  What Dana has posted is pretty much the current belief surrounding this date.  Their calendar is built kind of like a solar system, wheels within wheels, they all start at one point but it takes a long time before all those starting points align again because each level rotates at a different rate.  What is interesting about their concept of time is that it is cyclical and repeats throughout time, but at the same time it is linear, it has a beginning and an end.  Because their calendar is based on observation of the stars and the fact that they are so surprisingly perfect at predicting every celestial movement, it wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of important event or even a polar shift.  They were able to predict the patterns of eclipses and star charts up to today with accuracy.  They were so intelligent in their predictions that it almost makes me nervous to think about it.  Obviously if something like a shift occurred, the patterns of the stars as we know them would change, so it kind of fits with the idea that their calendar would end, because it would no longer align properly.

As far as I know, there just isn't a connection between their myth and global warming.  Although, that being said, since their height of civilization, the climate has changed pretty drastically and a majority of their myths were related to nature and the interconectivity of man and nature.  Most of these have to do with origins though, not demise.

post #8 of 17

hmmmmm more of the same doomseday psychology..... lets hope they go for more a 'collapse of zeitgeist' type thing rather than physical destruction, like we are encouraged to think 'the tower' in the tarot is in most cases. i could go with that. new cycle. anyway its the age of kali for the next 60 odd thousand years, and as the as oldest goddess i reckon she trumps all.

post #9 of 17

Well maybe there is a bright spot to it: I mean consider the kiddies who hear about the 2012 doomsday and then post their panic-ridden questions in global warming forums. At least the fact that they hear "end of the world" and the first thing that comes to their mind is "it must be because of global warming" shows that, while they have no idea about the science, at least they understand that global warming is a serious problem...

post #10 of 17
 Welcome to the Huddle jezzicaz789! We look forward to your comments and participation but without the link please.

Have a great day!
Russ
post #11 of 17

As far as I know, the 2012 thing will just be some big event, could be geological, spiritual, economical, who cares. I personally believe it's just superstitious nonsense.

post #12 of 17

las predicciones para el 2012 son muchas y muy malas ,que dios nos deje confesados

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pracuj7ac15y View Post

This "2012" thing is totally overused by media, that claim that "the end is near" and all that bull***t. There is evidence, that some Mayan calendars were found that go far beyond 2012.

I agree that the whole 2012 thing is overused by the media, but I feel that the reason it is overused by the media is its prevalence in our society. How many wacko "prophets" have made claims about the end of the world in the past few years? Predicting the Rapture has been commonplace over the last 100 years. What shocks me more about stuff like that is not that people predict it (there will always be crazy people believing they are touched by god or w.e.) but the number of people that actually follow them and sell all their belongings! (I guess there are a never ending supply of stupid people...)

post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnoteboat View Post

I agree that the whole 2012 thing is overused by the media, but I feel that the reason it is overused by the media is its prevalence in our society. How many wacko "prophets" have made claims about the end of the world in the past few years? Predicting the Rapture has been commonplace over the last 100 years. What shocks me more about stuff like that is not that people predict it (there will always be crazy people believing they are touched by god or w.e.) but the number of people that actually follow them and sell all their belongings! (I guess there are a never ending supply of stupid people...)

You are absolutely right.

post #15 of 17

I have always thought this myth was interesting but I never really took it to heart.

post #16 of 17

I'm sick of this 2012 end of the world nonsene :-(

post #17 of 17

I'll waiting for that date ;)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Myths
Green Options › Forums › Climate Change › Myths › 2012