There is a case study here: http://www.ohmsandwattsservices.co.uk/kbase/kb_0005_energy_saving_led.php For some institutions, the maintenance costs are going to be significantly less, just because of the greater longevity of the LED tubes.
Related Forum Threads
- Beware - LED bulb reliability Last post on 9/9/15 at 10:32pm in Home & Garden
- Did you know CFL bulbs are harmful for your child’s eyes? Last post on 4/6/13 at 8:16pm in Home & Garden
- 950 lumen / 9 watt LED lamp Last post on 2/7/13 at 6:18am in Home & Garden
- Clever CFL introduction video Last post on 2/21/08 at 8:22pm in Home & Garden
- Total cost of ownership for LED Lights? Last post on 6/16/08 at 8:01am in Home & Garden
Introduction To Energy Efficient Lighting
Last edited: 4/10/12
- Introducing the Brand New QHC LED High BayLast edited: 11/16/12
- Lifetime Costs Of Light BulbsLast edited: 1/24/11
- Calculating Incandescent Equivalents For Cfl BulbsLast edited: 1/17/11
- Frugal Beginners Guide To GreenLast edited: 9/26/11
These are great LED replacements for halogens or fluorescents. I had a mix of CFLs and halogens around the house that i've been wanting to replace with low energy LEDs for some time and I've now...
Goes on smooth and easily, doesn't smear too much throughout the day. The color is great and the product is natural. I'd definitely buy it again!
I'm not a big drinker, and I'm even less of a vodka drinker. That said, this vodka is quite smooth and mixed well into a variety of cocktails. If I'm going to drink vodka, I definitely prefer...
Great product, saves a lot of water. You definitely have to use some elbow grease though.
It's one of my favorites!
LED lamps versus CFLs - Page 2post #32 of 402/14/12 at 7:16pmpost #33 of 403/11/12 at 1:23ampost #34 of 404/4/12 at 11:49am
SO, Here is an example from our site (not spamming, just wanted to share the calculation)
If a landscaper installs (10) 80w outdoor LED flood lights to replace a 300 watt HPS or Metal Halide. He uses them 12 hours a day, 365 days a year at $0.206 per KWH (Here in Los Angeles, California).
At the end of the year, he would save:
- $1,985.02 in electricity (Spend $721.82 with LED and $2,706.84 with HPS/ Metal Halide)
- 5203.44 KG of Co2 (Carbon)
- The replacement costs of failed HPS/ Metal Halide lights
- Maintenance costs of replacement (and the headache)
- Over the life of the LEDs he will save AT LEAST $21,835.22.
Is it the initial cost that drives people off? Why aren't people buying more of these? It seems simple to me. O well.post #35 of 405/28/12 at 2:50ampost #36 of 409/18/12 at 7:59ampost #37 of 409/19/12 at 11:24am
The cost of the light bulb is only one factor in the total cost of light. The other factors are the number of bulbs you need over a given time period (repurchases) and the cost of electricity to produce the light from the bulb. When you take both of these into account the choice between LED and CFL or Incandescent is fairly clear. Depending on whether or not you are a long or short term thinker! There is a good article at Live Green or you can go directly to the article Is An LED Light Bulb Worth The Upfront Cost?post #38 of 403/11/13 at 3:17ampost #39 of 403/11/13 at 11:46am
I always thought that LED's (A) weren't very bright & (B) were really expensive.
I've recently found that neither of these are true anymore - I have just replaced most of my kitchen & living room spots with Surface Mounted LED's which are great and purchased cheaply (i.e. £2 per unit approx) on eBay (I think they are made and sold by Chinese companies).
They'll easily pay for themselves within a year with our exorbitant UK electricity prices!post #40 of 404/6/13 at 8:07pm
A great summary. LED is the ultimate choice, however it takes much effort to cut down the cost. CFL bulbs are still a more affordable solution in even the developed countries.
Here's another article on this http://www.eslightbulbs.com/cfl-lights-vs-led-bulbs
- Introducing the Brand New QHC LED High Bay
- › like know if I'm pregnant on 4/18/17
- › What's your favorite food? on 12/6/16
- › what is your opinion ? on 12/6/16
- › Regarding submitting Article on 12/6/16
- › Why harvest rainwater? on 12/6/16
- › Soot! on 12/6/16
- › Funding drives findings on 12/6/16
- › The Denial Machine on 12/6/16
- › GM's vice chairman calls global warming a crock of sh** on 12/6/16
- › Solar panel / Electrics question on 12/6/16
- › Tuwago B3-12DPRO 12-watt BR30 Flood LED Lamp by paul518
- › Mineral Fusion Natural Brands Eye Pencil, Coal, 0.04 Ounce by smallone
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by cristina7
- › Lucky Earth Waterless Car Wash by cristina7
- › Method Dish Soap by cristina7
- › Seventh Generation Natural Toilet Bowl Cleaner by cristina7
- › Fiber Element Bamboo sheet set by tw6852
- › Brush with Bamboo - Ecological Bamboo Toothbrush Family Pack by jtangerine
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Organic 4th of July Cocktails
- › Tips on Grocery Shopping
- › Making Your Breakfast Organic
- › Eco-Friendly Car Washing
- › Guide to Method Home Products
- › Best All Purpose Cleaners
- › Best Natural Bathroom Cleaners
- › Thinking Outside the Rooftop
- › The Role of Politics in the Planning of Wind...
- › How to distinguish poor quality LED light and...