I've been experimenting making my own dishwasher detergent that is safe, actually cleans my dishes and doesn't a yucky white film on all my dishes. I finally found a combo of 2:1 washing soda and borax that works, but unfortunately all of my recycled glass plates have a thick white film on them that just won't come off. I've tried washing them by hand and I've even tried running them through the dishwasher with the grocery store detergent I have left and they're are still filmy. The only way I get can it to budge at all is to scratch it with my finger nail. Does anyone know how to get the film off??
Related Forum Threads
- Phthalates in Method? Last post on 2/13/09 at 10:20am in Home & Garden
- Which natural and organic cleaners are made here in the US and which ones aren’t ? Last post on 2/23/10 at 12:03am in Renewable Energy
- Shaklee Last post on 10/22/12 at 10:23pm in Home & Garden
- New Bill to Protect Children from Untested Chemicals Last post on 10/25/09 at 10:25pm in Babies & Kids
- DYI Wind turbines Last post on 5/14/09 at 12:15pm in Renewable Energy
Homemade Cleaner Recipes And Tips
Last edited: 8/8/12
- Homemade Non Toxic Home Air FreshenersLast edited: 9/26/11
- How To Make Your Own Solar Food DehydratorLast edited: 3/30/11
- Homemade Face Masks And Skin CareLast edited: 9/26/11
- Keep Your Winter Heating Bills LowLast edited: 9/26/11
These are great LED replacements for halogens or fluorescents. I had a mix of CFLs and halogens around the house that i've been wanting to replace with low energy LEDs for some time and I've now...
Goes on smooth and easily, doesn't smear too much throughout the day. The color is great and the product is natural. I'd definitely buy it again!
I'm not a big drinker, and I'm even less of a vodka drinker. That said, this vodka is quite smooth and mixed well into a variety of cocktails. If I'm going to drink vodka, I definitely prefer...
Great product, saves a lot of water. You definitely have to use some elbow grease though.
It's one of my favorites!
Homemade dishwasher detergentpost #2 of 77/14/08 at 9:12pmpost #3 of 77/15/08 at 6:21ampost #4 of 77/24/08 at 9:29ampost #5 of 77/24/08 at 8:43pm
add citrus acid to the mix to take off the film, the vinegar will also help as a rinse agent to reduce film, but the citrus acid will take care of it entirly.
try this recipe:
1 cup borax
1 cup baking soda
1/4 cup citric acid (found in bulk at nutrition store)
Mix and then grind to fine powder. Use vinegar as a rinse agent. This will get the dishes clean and leave no film.post #6 of 77/31/08 at 3:39pmpost #7 of 78/12/08 at 10:42amglad to help ;-)
Quote:Originally Posted by kellyteach:
Thanks for the tip about citric acid - without it the dishes were clean but filmy. I just started making my own washing detergent that I love. SOOOOOOO much cheaper than the Shaklee stuff I was buying. Don't get me wrong, the Shaklee stuff was great but a little pricey.
- Homemade Non Toxic Home Air Fresheners
- › like know if I'm pregnant on 4/18/17
- › What's your favorite food? on 12/6/16
- › what is your opinion ? on 12/6/16
- › Regarding submitting Article on 12/6/16
- › Why harvest rainwater? on 12/6/16
- › Soot! on 12/6/16
- › Funding drives findings on 12/6/16
- › The Denial Machine on 12/6/16
- › GM's vice chairman calls global warming a crock of sh** on 12/6/16
- › Solar panel / Electrics question on 12/6/16
- › Tuwago B3-12DPRO 12-watt BR30 Flood LED Lamp by paul518
- › Mineral Fusion Natural Brands Eye Pencil, Coal, 0.04 Ounce by smallone
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by cristina7
- › Lucky Earth Waterless Car Wash by cristina7
- › Method Dish Soap by cristina7
- › Seventh Generation Natural Toilet Bowl Cleaner by cristina7
- › Fiber Element Bamboo sheet set by tw6852
- › Brush with Bamboo - Ecological Bamboo Toothbrush Family Pack by jtangerine
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Organic 4th of July Cocktails
- › Tips on Grocery Shopping
- › Making Your Breakfast Organic
- › Eco-Friendly Car Washing
- › Guide to Method Home Products
- › Best All Purpose Cleaners
- › Best Natural Bathroom Cleaners
- › Thinking Outside the Rooftop
- › The Role of Politics in the Planning of Wind...
- › How to distinguish poor quality LED light and...