65% of your time is spent specifically in your home. But our home sweet homes might not be so great on your lungs. Various studies have shown that pollutant levels inside can be anywhere from two to five times higher than outdoors. And children take in 50% more air per pound of body weight than adults do. They are much more susceptible to these environmental factors (in fact, a study, published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine found that up to 65% of asthma cases among elementary school-age children could be prevented by controlling exposure to indoor allergens). There are many sources of pollutants indoors. They range from pesticides to cleaning products to fire retardants on your furniture to the glues that are keeping your carpet on the ground. So be aware of what's in the stuff you buy!
Related Forum Threads
- Environmental Protection Agency issues final ruling for greenhouse gas regulations Last post on 5/15/10 at 2:54pm in Environmental News and Politics
- Which natural and organic cleaners are made here in the US and which ones aren’t ? Last post on 2/23/10 at 12:03am in Renewable Energy
- Shaklee Last post on 10/22/12 at 10:23pm in Home & Garden
- New Bill to Protect Children from Untested Chemicals Last post on 10/25/09 at 10:25pm in Babies & Kids
- Get Squeaky Clean with Mary Findley - Huddler Interview Last post on 6/5/09 at 10:18am in Ask An Industry Leader
How To Improve Your Indoor Air Quality
Edited on 3/30/11
- Plants That Naturally Detox Your Air And Improve Indoor Air QualityEdited on 1/27/11
- Solve Indoor Air PollutionEdited on 10/5/12
- Shoes Off In The House For Better Indoor Air QualityEdited on 1/24/11
- Homemade Non Toxic Home Air FreshenersEdited on 9/26/11
Related Blog Posts
All You Need for Fresh Air: 3 Essential Green Plants
Published on 3/22/09 by greenUPGRADER
Is Miracle, Safe Sanitizer Too Good to be True?
Published on 2/24/09 by sustainablog
Book Review: Smogtown: The Lung-Burning History of Pollution in Los Angeles, by Chip Jacobs and...
Published on 12/10/08 by sustainablog
All Natural Cleaning That Really Works: Vinegar of Four Thieves
Published on 11/10/08 by EcoChildsPlay.com
I have to and very seldom do but this vodka is the very best...
Okay, so we're a little biased! :)
Great product: Beach Sage and Citron Leaf Method Bloq. Goes on thin, dries quickly with no greasy feel. Lasts a long time. Best of all no petroleum products in it, in fact, all indgredients in...
The Venting does not meet the minimum required length to go out side? It is vented in PVC so it looks like it goes outside right behind the boiler and the minimum length is 12' with a 90...
You spend 90% of your time indoorspost #1 of 211/26/07 at 1:31pmThread Starterpost #2 of 23/20/08 at 9:47amThread Starter
Actually, if you're interested in learning more about certified products for improved indoor air quality, check out Greenguard Environmental Institute.
"The GREENGUARD Environmental Institute (GEI) is an industry-independent, non-profit organization that oversees the GREENGUARD Certification Program. As an ANSI Authorized Standards Developer, GEI establishes acceptable indoor air standards for indoor products, environments, and buildings. GEI’s mission is to improve public health and quality of life through programs that improve indoor air. A GEI Advisory Board consisting of independent volunteers, who are renowned experts in the areas of indoor air quality, public and environmental health, building design and construction, and public policy, provides guidance and leadership to GEI."
And here are their standards for paints in their Indoor Air Quality Certified program:
- You spend 90% of your time indoors
- Plants That Naturally Detox Your Air And Improve Indoor Air Quality
- › SAFE GREEN CLEANING PRODUCTS FOR BABIES/KIDS 10 hours, 10 minutes ago
- › Least expensive green products? 10 hours, 53 minutes ago
- › Conservation before Generation 1 day, 8 hours ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 2 days, 18 hours ago
- › The Tyler Group News Blog Reviews: China factory PMI | Imdb 2 days, 20 hours ago
- › Anger Management: How To Deal With Anger 3 days, 2 hours ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 3 days, 2 hours ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 3 days, 3 hours ago
- › Industrial Steam Boilers 3 days, 3 hours ago
- › My list of Fakers and Not Fakers 3 days, 10 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Earl—A Solar Tablet for the Wanderlust... by SolarReviews
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru
- › Report Anticipates 220 New Gigawatts of... by SolarReviews
- › Mosaic’s Latest Solar Project Sends... by SolarReviews
- › Google, Cisco are Coolest IT Companies, Says... by SolarReviews