We have an electric bike company in Oregon. Our law is that as long as it's under 25mph self propelled it is considered a bike. Our bikes are rated at 20 mph and can all be ridden on bike paths. We don't sell scooters because I know that some cities have tighter laws on them. Visit our website at www.electricpeddler.com and "Get Your Throttle On"
Related Forum Threads
- Huddler story time: Going to West Coast Green Last post on 12/8/08 at 2:02pm in Take Action Near You
- Electric Scooters Last post on 1/27/10 at 10:37am in Transportation
- Vectrix Last post on 1/6/10 at 12:12pm in Transportation
- Electric scooter/moped/motorcycle news Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:03pm in Transportation
- California motorcycle driving test = killer! Last post on 12/14/12 at 4:27pm in Transportation
Great Green Motorcycles
Edited on 7/25/11
- Introduction To Electric Cars And Electric ScootersEdited on 1/17/11
Related Blog Posts
Morgan Threewheeler Making A Return
Published on 11/8/10 by Gas2.org
EICMA 2010: Rise of the Electric Vehicles
Published on 11/5/10 by Gas2.org
TTXGP Season Final at Albacete: End of a Season…Beginning of an Era
Published on 10/27/10 by Gas2.org
Brammo Doubles Mileage Of Electric Motorcycle
Published on 10/20/10 by Gas2.org
Brammo Seeks to Expand Dealer Network Beyond Best Buy
Published on 9/24/10 by Gas2.org
I have to and very seldom do but this vodka is the very best...
Okay, so we're a little biased! :)
Great product: Beach Sage and Citron Leaf Method Bloq. Goes on thin, dries quickly with no greasy feel. Lasts a long time. Best of all no petroleum products in it, in fact, all indgredients in...
The Venting does not meet the minimum required length to go out side? It is vented in PVC so it looks like it goes outside right behind the boiler and the minimum length is 12' with a 90...
- Introduction To Electric Cars And Electric Scooters
Anybody familiar with electric scooter/moped laws? - Page 2
Seems like most of the discussion is about the West coast, but in Delaware, I can tell you they don't have a clue. You can go here http://delcode.delaware.gov/title21/index.shtml#TopOfPage and start with definitions. My Rad2Go Sunbird Electric bicycle is technically a Bicycle in Delaware. Less than 750 watts, (Ours are 250 watts), and less than 20 MPH, (Ours top out at 18 MPH). We have pedals and you could ride it without any assistance from the motor, without any problem. But here's the problem... It looks like a scooter, with turn signals, mirrors, brake lights and bodywork. A scooter puts you in a different set of rules.
So September 3rd, we go on vacation. We park our car and jump on the bikes and do what we love to do at the beach.
(Let me start with... My wife is recovering fine and will be OK!)
We were on our way home, in the bike lane, and my wife crashes hard. I was in front of her so I only heard her crash. We have no idea what happened but I suspect she may have been clipped by a car. I stopped and ran back to her and she was unconscious and breathing poorly. She was bleeding and I was having thoughts of losing my wife. (Our 36th anniversary was 3 days later. Sept. 6th). We were both wearing our bicycle helmets. There is no question that if she wasn't wearing her helmet, she would not have survived the crash. The Paramedics got there within minutes and then the State Police. She regained consciousness after about 10 minutes and was aware of where she was but didn't know what happened. They flew her by Helicopter to the head trauma unit in upper Delaware where she stayed for 2 nights. We returned to the beach and decided to try to relax for what was left of our vacation.
On Tuesday, Sept. 7th, I get a call from the Delaware State Police, telling me to bring my wife in so she can be charged with a DUI. She was arrested and they took her driver's license. I tried to point out that we were on bikes and according to the law, can not be charged with a "motor vehicle DUI", but they weren't listening. I asked the arresting officer if she would be getting this charge if she was on a conventional bike with no motor assist and she said, "NO". And to top things off, they still don't know her Blood/Alcohol level! We know it will be low, (We had 4 drinks in 6 hours), but that doesn't matter. You still have to appear in Court and defend yourself. We have retained a lawyer at $1500, we will have to pay $150 to get her license back and she won't be guilty of anything. Something wrong with this system???
I guess our wonderful Delaware State Police figured, almost dieing that night wasn't enough.
This is to update the outcome of my wife's accident. After $4,000 and appearing in court, the charges were thrown out because we were riding what is legally a bicycle in the state of Delaware. Exactly what I tried to explain to the police woman when she was arresting my wife. So where do I go to get my $4,000 back? Yeah, right. Welcome to the system.
Also, something I missed when looking at her busted helmet. On the left rear of it is a black smudge. I believe caused by maybe a pick-up truck mirror.
So it really doesn't matter what the law is. They say ignorance of the law is no excuse. So you will pay, even if the police are ignorant of the law.
1) Don't SUI!!! - Scoot Under the Influence!! The same laws may apply in your State as DUI's!!
2) Street Legal Scooters are required to follow the same Motor Vehicle as all other vehicles
3) Obtain the proper license as required by your State
4) Obtain the proper insurance as required by your State
5) Scooters and Electric Bicycles shall follow local bicycle laws.
The laws that govern the operation of electric scooters and bikes vary from state to state. In addition, the enforcement of these laws may vary from city to city. Before selecting an electric scooter for purchase, I recommend contacting your local law enforcement agency or DMV to obtain the most up to date and accurate information for your area.
What sad news- I hope all goes well.
I know a little about CA laws; same or similar to Oregons- 20 mph unassisted. I had a hub motor that had governers or something. Perfectly legal. I changed to a much higher controller and it was capable of breaking the law. A gas scooter or moped is legal at 35 mph. I rode mine in San Francisco (Sunday Streets- NO cars) Golden Gate Park hill from the top to the Great Highway. I just had to see what it would do and gravity/motor/aerodynamics pushed it way way over 35! Don't let the avatar fool you -there is a recumbent trike hidden in there! (I dismantled it to slow it down now- just a plain recumbent trike)
Stand-up scooter are tiny motorized scooter weighting from 50-100lbs. Your 200-lb moped will kill someone if ran into someone at full 20mph, that's why you need a license plate, dmv testing, etc. Some stand-up includes a bike seat, but the whole contraption is like a child's scooter, hence no plate/license/insurance/registration requirements.
You can probably ride your 15-mile range scooter after midnight, camp out at the DMV station when you arrive and wake up fresh for your test. That's price for going green
Yeah laws vary by state. Here our mopeds are considered under 50 CC and a motorcycle is anything above that. Mopeds do not need any special license/endorsement and motorcycles need a motorcycle endorsement. Lots of people use a smaller "motorcycle" like 150cc to take their motorcycle road test cuz they're easier to navigate.
- Anybody familiar with electric scooter/moped laws?
- › SAFE GREEN CLEANING PRODUCTS FOR BABIES/KIDS 10 hours, 10 minutes ago
- › Least expensive green products? 10 hours, 53 minutes ago
- › Conservation before Generation 1 day, 8 hours ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 2 days, 18 hours ago
- › The Tyler Group News Blog Reviews: China factory PMI | Imdb 2 days, 20 hours ago
- › Anger Management: How To Deal With Anger 3 days, 2 hours ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 3 days, 2 hours ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 3 days, 3 hours ago
- › Industrial Steam Boilers 3 days, 3 hours ago
- › My list of Fakers and Not Fakers 3 days, 10 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Earl—A Solar Tablet for the Wanderlust... by SolarReviews
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru
- › Report Anticipates 220 New Gigawatts of... by SolarReviews
- › Mosaic’s Latest Solar Project Sends... by SolarReviews
- › Google, Cisco are Coolest IT Companies, Says... by SolarReviews