The FDA does not regulate marketing tactics and words used in ads that cosmetic companies claim.
When companies claim "organic", with cosmetics and skin care products there is no such thing as 100% organic or natural. If there is even 1% of chemicals, it is clearly not completely organic.
I just read an interesting thread that discusses fake organic products and genuine organic products.
Here's my take.
According to the German Organic Food Industry Association (BOLW), the highest organic ingredients contained in any existing cosmetic product is 70%. The remaining 30% consists of some form of chemicals including preservatives such as paraben or methylparaben etc.
Bogus advertisements from cosmetic companies mislead consumers. However, if someone is asking whether there are any cosmetic products that is 100% AUTHENTIC and ORGANIC, the answer is clearly no.
Let's compare organic food and regular food. Organic food will obviously perish much quicker than non-organic foods. This logic would also hold true for cosmetic products. If there really were 100% organic products, I doubt they would last more than 1-2 weeks at most. Imagine purchasing your cosmetics every few weeks. What a financial nightmare (unless you can afford to do so).
So as a consumer, rather than searching for that non existent 100% organic product, it's more important to look at the concentration of organic ingredients compared to chemicals.
e.g. Fragance is hazardous right? But a product I use contains 0.1% of fragrance in the entire product. Now is this really dangerous or unfriendly? No I dont believe so.
One last thing on preservatives. Instead of paraben, many companies are now replacing it with an alternative that is safer. But it is still a preservative nonetheless.
Having said all that, if you are still afraid or have doubts about using any form of product that contains a chemical, the only true alternative I can think of are homemade skin care solutions, which last for about 4-6 days. But even still, if the fruits or vegies you use in your ingredient is not organic, again it isn't a 100% organic homemade product right? The search for the holy grail continues.. lol :)
I also write facial skin related articles on my blog VANYA.