When our children study for long hours under a CFL Lamp,it weakens their eyes and affects their health. It contains toxic substances like mercury which can lead to cancer. Guess its time for us to go green
Related Forum Threads
- LED lamps versus CFLs Last post on 11/1/15 at 10:45pm in Home & Garden
- Total cost of ownership for LED Lights? Last post on 6/16/08 at 8:01am in Home & Garden
- Top 3 lighting manufacturers to offer LEDs this year Last post on 7/12/13 at 1:06pm in Home & Garden
- Beware - LED bulb reliability Last post on 10/29/15 at 9:04pm in Home & Garden
- The myth of the CFL Last post on 11/28/09 at 7:28am in Myths
Introduction To Energy Efficient Lighting
Last edited: 4/10/12
- Introducing the Brand New QHC LED High BayLast edited: 11/16/12
- Frugal Beginners Guide To GreenLast edited: 9/26/11
- Frugal Experts Guide To GreenLast edited: 9/26/11
- Lifetime Costs Of Light BulbsLast edited: 1/24/11
These are great LED replacements for halogens or fluorescents. I had a mix of CFLs and halogens around the house that i've been wanting to replace with low energy LEDs for some time and I've now...
Goes on smooth and easily, doesn't smear too much throughout the day. The color is great and the product is natural. I'd definitely buy it again!
I'm not a big drinker, and I'm even less of a vodka drinker. That said, this vodka is quite smooth and mixed well into a variety of cocktails. If I'm going to drink vodka, I definitely prefer...
Great product, saves a lot of water. You definitely have to use some elbow grease though.
It's one of my favorites!
Did you know CFL bulbs are harmful for your child’s eyes?post #2 of 112/22/09 at 6:55pmpost #3 of 112/22/09 at 7:45pm
I knew they had mercury, which is why I take precautions with them and never dispose of them in the trash. I had not heard about them hurting your eyes. I'd like to look into the LED lights a little more. I hate to keep spending all this money to switch to newer bulbs everytime a more environmentally friendly version comes out!post #4 of 112/23/09 at 7:39am
You might find this helpful when picking out LED bulbs. http://www.environmentalled.com/Favorite-uses-of-LED-light-bulbs-15.html
We also have an application guide on our website as well.
I also do believe we will be extending all green huddler members a year round discount on everything once our current sale is over.
Edited by environled - Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:40:48 UTCpost #5 of 113/2/09 at 11:22am
It is all true that FL and CFL contains mercury, radiates UV, flickers, creates heat (1/3 of filament type bulb).
On the other hand, LED lighting does not use mercury, no UV for regular lighting, over 85% of electricity to light conversion ratio (which is very very high), and does not flicker.
The cause of weakning eye is flickering, which has been greatly improved in the past years and today's FL and CFL no longer bother eyes, except those already worn out. If you want to protect children's eye from flickering, better not to have them watch movie, TV and computer display.
In total, needless to say LED is superior to FL or CFL, but I personally think ther is no rush to change them. FL and CFL are still good products, and very reasonable.post #6 of 113/2/09 at 12:52pmpost #7 of 113/2/09 at 1:18pmpost #8 of 113/3/09 at 6:31ampost #9 of 113/3/09 at 3:18pm
LED lights have some way to go before they can match the power of even a 11W CFL. I've got some 12V white LED lights that I use with my solar setup but they are 2.5W and very dim but they are perfect for my movie theatre as a black level light for the projector. You need some light in a room with a projector as the black level isn't very black on them so if you illuminate the room to the same level as the black level of the projector then your eyes adjust better and you perceive the slightly grey / black image to be darker than it is. I found incandescents too bright and too orange on a dimmer so the dim but paper white LEDs are ideal. Just don't try reading a book by them!
The most useful LED lights I've seen are the GU10 replacements but they are very dim compared to a regular 10W halogen GU10 but for a small display cabinet they are ok and are better for the exhibits as the LED ones don't put out much heat and no UV.
Oh yeah, and LED lights without good diffusers can damage your eyes too... The intensity of the point sources can damage your retina through light overload, same as people who get zapped with laser LED pens. My dad has one of those windup LED torches and we have to keep it away from my sister's kid as she likes nothing better than to wind it up and then put the torch to her eye and stare right into the beam!
I don't like those new LED car lights for the same reason. They often have no diffusers and high power LEDs that leave dots on my vision for a while if I stare at them too much, especially at night.post #10 of 113/7/13 at 10:28pm
- Introducing the Brand New QHC LED High Bay
- › Need to find a great shampoo and conditioner! 1 week, 6 days ago
- › Triac tryouts to begin this October, deliveries in November 3 weeks, 1 day ago
- › LED lamps versus CFLs 3 weeks, 2 days ago
- › Beware - LED bulb reliability 3 weeks, 5 days ago
- › Costco BRAND LED floodlights on the cheap? 3 weeks, 6 days ago
- › LED light save your bill, save energy, and save the world 3 weeks, 6 days ago
- › New LED lighting Store 3 weeks, 6 days ago
- › How to determine the quality of LED flood lights? 3 weeks, 6 days ago
- › how to make organic skin care products? 4 weeks, 1 day ago
- › Upside down CFL urban legend? on 10/22/15
- › Tuwago B3-12DPRO 12-watt BR30 Flood LED Lamp by paul518
- › Mineral Fusion Natural Brands Eye Pencil, Coal, 0.04 Ounce by smallone
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by cristina7
- › Lucky Earth Waterless Car Wash by cristina7
- › Method Dish Soap by cristina7
- › Seventh Generation Natural Toilet Bowl Cleaner by cristina7
- › Fiber Element Bamboo sheet set by tw6852
- › Brush with Bamboo - Ecological Bamboo Toothbrush Family Pack by jtangerine
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Organic 4th of July Cocktails
- › Tips on Grocery Shopping
- › Making Your Breakfast Organic
- › Eco-Friendly Car Washing
- › Guide to Method Home Products
- › Best All Purpose Cleaners
- › Best Natural Bathroom Cleaners
- › Thinking Outside the Rooftop
- › The Role of Politics in the Planning of Wind...
- › How to distinguish poor quality LED light and...