When our children study for long hours under a CFL Lamp,it weakens their eyes and affects their health. It contains toxic substances like mercury which can lead to cancer. Guess its time for us to go green
Related Forum Threads
- LED lamps versus CFLs Last post on 4/6/13 at 8:07pm in Home & Garden
- Total cost of ownership for LED Lights? Last post on 6/16/08 at 8:01am in Home & Garden
- Top 3 lighting manufacturers to offer LEDs this year Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:01am in Home & Garden
- Beware - LED bulb reliability Last post on 3/15/13 at 1:30pm in Home & Garden
- The myth of the CFL Last post on 11/28/09 at 7:28am in Myths
Introduction To Energy Efficient Lighting
Edited on 4/10/12
- Introducing the Brand New QHC LED High BayEdited on 11/16/12
- Frugal Beginners Guide To GreenEdited on 9/26/11
- Frugal Experts Guide To GreenEdited on 9/26/11
- Lifetime Costs Of Light BulbsEdited on 1/24/11
Related Blog Posts
CFL Bulb Guide for Less Mercury in Our Homes
Published on 1/1/09 by EcoChildsPlay.com
Zinc Oxide Breakthrough Creates High Performing LEDs
Published on 12/9/08 by Cleantechnica
GE Ends Development of Incandescent Bulbs, Focuses on LEDs
Published on 12/1/08 by Cleantechnica
CFLs Were Just the Beginning...
Published on 10/21/08 by greenUPGRADER
LED Lighting Could Be a Botox Replacement
Published on 11/6/08 by Cleantechnica
These sheets are really amazing. I bought a few pairs of bamboo sheets before, and I liked them. But they really seemed to deteriorate quickly and left me somewhat annoyed. But these have last...
The bamboo toothbrush has a clean design, does not absorb water or warp when wet for a long time. The bristles stay intact until you put it in hot water for a long time. It seems like the tip of...
I have to and very seldom do but this vodka is the very best...
Okay, so we're a little biased! :)
Great product: Beach Sage and Citron Leaf Method Bloq. Goes on thin, dries quickly with no greasy feel. Lasts a long time. Best of all no petroleum products in it, in fact, all indgredients in...
Did you know CFL bulbs are harmful for your child’s eyes?post #2 of 112/22/09 at 6:55pmpost #3 of 112/22/09 at 7:45pm
I knew they had mercury, which is why I take precautions with them and never dispose of them in the trash. I had not heard about them hurting your eyes. I'd like to look into the LED lights a little more. I hate to keep spending all this money to switch to newer bulbs everytime a more environmentally friendly version comes out!post #4 of 112/23/09 at 7:39am
You might find this helpful when picking out LED bulbs. http://www.environmentalled.com/Favorite-uses-of-LED-light-bulbs-15.html
We also have an application guide on our website as well.
I also do believe we will be extending all green huddler members a year round discount on everything once our current sale is over.
Edited by environled - Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:40:48 UTCpost #5 of 113/2/09 at 11:22am
It is all true that FL and CFL contains mercury, radiates UV, flickers, creates heat (1/3 of filament type bulb).
On the other hand, LED lighting does not use mercury, no UV for regular lighting, over 85% of electricity to light conversion ratio (which is very very high), and does not flicker.
The cause of weakning eye is flickering, which has been greatly improved in the past years and today's FL and CFL no longer bother eyes, except those already worn out. If you want to protect children's eye from flickering, better not to have them watch movie, TV and computer display.
In total, needless to say LED is superior to FL or CFL, but I personally think ther is no rush to change them. FL and CFL are still good products, and very reasonable.post #6 of 113/2/09 at 12:52pmpost #7 of 113/2/09 at 1:18pmpost #8 of 113/3/09 at 6:31ampost #9 of 113/3/09 at 3:18pm
LED lights have some way to go before they can match the power of even a 11W CFL. I've got some 12V white LED lights that I use with my solar setup but they are 2.5W and very dim but they are perfect for my movie theatre as a black level light for the projector. You need some light in a room with a projector as the black level isn't very black on them so if you illuminate the room to the same level as the black level of the projector then your eyes adjust better and you perceive the slightly grey / black image to be darker than it is. I found incandescents too bright and too orange on a dimmer so the dim but paper white LEDs are ideal. Just don't try reading a book by them!
The most useful LED lights I've seen are the GU10 replacements but they are very dim compared to a regular 10W halogen GU10 but for a small display cabinet they are ok and are better for the exhibits as the LED ones don't put out much heat and no UV.
Oh yeah, and LED lights without good diffusers can damage your eyes too... The intensity of the point sources can damage your retina through light overload, same as people who get zapped with laser LED pens. My dad has one of those windup LED torches and we have to keep it away from my sister's kid as she likes nothing better than to wind it up and then put the torch to her eye and stare right into the beam!
I don't like those new LED car lights for the same reason. They often have no diffusers and high power LEDs that leave dots on my vision for a while if I stare at them too much, especially at night.post #10 of 113/7/13 at 10:28pm
- Introducing the Brand New QHC LED High Bay
- › Earth Day: Top 5 best ways to Green your home for less 1 week, 4 days ago
- › Which is greener: bidets or toilet paper? 1 week, 4 days ago
- › Has anyone tried Sanre organic skinfood products? 2 weeks, 1 day ago
- › Recommendations for Green Apps? 3 weeks ago
- › The EV-Hater's Guide to Hating Electric Cars 3 weeks, 1 day ago
- › Your Running Shoes’ Carbon Footprint 3 weeks, 4 days ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost through Boiler Efficiency 3 weeks, 4 days ago
- › Conservation before Generation 4 weeks, 1 day ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 4 weeks, 2 days ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 4 weeks, 2 days ago
- › Fiber Element Bamboo sheet set by tw6852
- › Brush with Bamboo - Ecological Bamboo Toothbrush Family Pack by jtangerine
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › Thinking Outside the Rooftop by SolarReviews
- › The Role of Politics in the Planning of Wind... by leahjarratt
- › How to distinguish poor quality LED light and... by floodlights
- › How to Recycle With House Clearances by Fleur
- › Starwood Hotels & Resorts Starts its... by SolarReviews
- › How to choose qualified LED lighting by floodlights
- › Build Your Green Home by Thomas Caulen
- › Brazil Prepares for the 2014 World Cup With... by SolarReviews
- › How to choose healthy environmental... by floodlights
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery by SamsonEd