Pros: Non-Medicated, cures discomfort, fun to do
Cons: requires assistance, not too good for paranoid parents
I love these things!!! My family has been using them for years, unfortunately most stores recently stopped carrying the product, saying that you need professional assistance. In my opinion however, anyone can light a candle and trim the excess.
Simply cut a hole in an aluminum pie plate, insert ear candle through hole and into your ear. Light the other end and voila! It draws out buildup in your ear! It does produce a fairly large flame and it is best to trim off the burnt portion every few minutes. The most fun is unraveling the last 3-4 inches after the candle has been put out, check out all the stuff that used to be in your ear!
It really does relieve the pressure and stop that itchy, drainage feeling.