Huddler.com first look - SF Green, San Francisco, May 2007
Intro to the Tesla Roadster (Part 1 through Part 4)
Tesla Roadster Burnout
July 12th, 2008 - Tesla Motors CEO/President Ze'ev Orori announced that Tesla Roadster has unclogged the logjam that had been halting delivery of their orders and they would now ramp up to delivering 4 per month for the next several months, and get up to production of 100 roadsters per month by the end of the year.
In other news, the Drivetrain 1.5 is completed and will be installed in all new Tesla's starting in September. Also, the second Tesla store is opening in Menlo Park, CA.
Tesla Motors released a white paper in October 2006 comparing well-to-wheel efficiency (well-to-wheel refers to the entire life of the fuel - from the point when the raw fuel is abstracted from its source [i.e. the well] to the point it turns into your vehicle's motion [i.e. the wheel]; well-to-wheel allows for a standard metric to compare different fuel types), well-to-wheel carbon dioxide emissions, and 0 to 60 miles per hour acceleration for a variety of technologies and example cars. In each case, the Tesla came in first (the Prius came in second for well-to-wheel efficiency and emissions but came in 6th in terms of acceleration).
||Well-to-Wheel CO2 Emissions
||0 to 60 mph Acceleration
|Gasoline Engine (Turbo 6-cyl)
|Gasoline Engine (V12)
||Ferrari 550 Maranello
|Gasoline Engine (V8)
|Gasoline Engine (VTEC 4-cyl)
||Honda Civic VX
|Diesel Engine (4-cyl)
||VW Jetta Diesel
|Natural Gas Engine (4-cyl)
|Hybrid (3-cyl Gas/Electric)
|Hydrogen Fuel Cell
Table from: Eberhard, M. & M. Tarpenning. (Oct. 6, 2006). The 21st century Electric Car (PDF). Tesla Motors. Retrieved on Dec. 3, 2007.
Delays on Delivery
Originally, the Tesla Roadster was to be delivered during the 2007 summer. Then the release date was pushed to October 2007. But in September, the interim CEO Michael Marks sent a letter to customers announcing another delay. At this point, 50 Roadsters will ship during the first quarter of 2008 and another 600 will ship during the rest of the 2008 model year. According to Darryl Siry, Tesla's VP of Sales, Marketing and Service, the primary cause of the delay has been issues with durability and reliability of the transmission (he has also said that the initial rumors of issues with the lithium-iron batteries are entirely untrue).
How To Buy A Tesla Roadster
- If you live in the United States, visit the Tesla website to configure your vehicle.
- You will have the option to select options and accessories including satelitte radio, a touch-screen navigation system with voice guidance, a carbon fiber hardtop, Bluetooth integration, a 7-speaker sound system, custom floor mats, and a mobile charging system. You will also be able to select one of twelve exterior colors and one of four interior colors.
- Fill out your contact information.
- Submit your form and send in your $5,000 deposit. This will put you on the wait list (depending on manufacturing, you may be able to receive a 2008 model; if you are not offered a 2008 model, you will be in line for a 2009 model).
- When you come to the top of the wait list, if a car is available, a Tesla Motors consultant will contact you. You may then choose to put down a $30,000 deposit for the car (your wait list fee of $5,000 will be credited to your $30,000 deposit). You will be sent an approximate delivery date.
- Upon receipt of your deposit, you will be given access to an exclusive online portal in which you can modify your vehicle's configuration, among other things.
- Wait for your car to be delivered.
- If you live outside of the initial key markets (Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, New York and Miami) where service centers will be located, you will be charged an additional $8,000 service fee.
- If you live in Hawaii or Alaska, Tesla Roadsters are not yet available in your states.
- If you live outside of the United States, Tesla Roadsters are not yet available.
- If you have already given your deposit for your Roadster and decide you are no longer interested, you $5,000 deposit is refundable (minus $100 for processing). The $30,000 deposit is refundable until three months before the production of your car.
Current Tesla Roadster Pre-Orders (unconfirmed):
- Sergey Brin - Google
- Larry Page - Google
- George Clooney
- Dennis Haysbert
- Martin Eberhard - former Tesla CEO
- Elon Musk - Tesla Chairman of the Board
- Michael Marks - former CEO of Flextronics, interim Tesla CEO
- Chris Paine - writer and director, "Who Killed the Electric Car"
- Dean Devlin - producer "Who Killed the Electric Car"
- Scott Burns - producer, "An Inconvenient Truth"
- Arnold Schwarzenegger / Maria Shriver - Actor/politician & his wife
- Gavin Newsom - San Francisco Mayor
- Nicholas Pritzker - Hyatt hotel CEO
- Eric Stang - Reliant CEO
- Brian Halla - CEO of National Semiconductor
- Matt Damon - Actor
- Will.I.Am - Singer
- Michael "Flea" Balzary - Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist
- Jim Marver - VantagePoint Venture Partners
- Steve Jurvetson - Venture Capitalist
- Jon Faiz Kayyem - Managing Partner of Efficacy Capital Ltd
- Rob Wilder - CEO of WilderShares LLC
- Dean Kamen - New Hampshire inventor
- Jeff Skoll - formerly of eBay
- Jon Mittelhauser - co-founded Netscape Communications
- Stephen Casner - Fellow, Packet Design
- Bob Bressler - Owner of Bressler Vineyards
- Don Cox - Professor of Electrical Engineering, Stanford University
- Earl Cox - Don Cox's son
- Rich Chen - formerly of Google
- Josh Hannah - Flutter.com president
- Tom & Cathy Saxton
- Bill Bennett
- Doug Cheeseman - adventure tour operator
- Farzad Nazem - Ex Yahoo! CTO
- Loren Carpenter - Pixar co-founder
- Julie Chaiken - sportswear designer
- Allen Skolnick
- Barry Skolnick - CAMBR CEO
- Don Ruggiero - CAMBR CFO
- Corinne - El Dorado Hills, CA
- Greg Woulf
- Simon Hackett - ISP Representative, Australia
- Matt - Domain broker from NY
- Michael Valentine
- Scott Byer - Photoshop Architect from Cupertino, CA
- Steve Stevens - AT&T Bell Telephone Laboratories
- Tony Belding - Blogger from Hamilton, TX
- Don Auker - EV fan from Lebanon, PA
- Linda Nicholes - EV activitist