or Connect

Posts by Smita

@mikeymartin: I agree that your vision of the future is a possibility. My take in the article is on the current scenario with the current crop of electric cars. In the future, I fully expect we'll have not only cheaper and more renewable power, but also much more efficient electronics and A/C systems in cars, and all types of hybrid engines that don't just rely on electricity or gas. If 100 mpg cars become commonplace, and they run on alternate fuels, we'll have little...
@Cello Mom Cars   Had a chance to ride the Shinkansen this year. Amazing. My attempts at video recording the sound and fury of the trains going by were an exercise in futility. They simply explode upon the scene and go by at breathtaking speed. But what a pleasant ride.   Nice blog post! Thanks for sharing. Hope EPA takes a cue from the MPG-c and comes up with a better label.
@Cello Mom Cars   Had a chance to ride the Shinkansen this year. Amazing. My attempts at video recording the sound and fury of the trains going by were an exercise in futility. They simply explode upon the scene and go by at breathtaking speed. But what a pleasant ride.   Nice blog post! Thanks for sharing. Hope EPA takes a cue from the MPG-c and comes up with a better label.
@Holleman:   Re #1 -- I would think emissions at a power plant would be more localized than auto emissions. One could argue that auto emissions are in more populated areas, and power plants are often located in less populated areas, but this does not change the equation for the environment in terms of GHG emissions.   Re #2 -- How do we propose to ensure that EVs are indeed charged only at off-peak times? What we see today is a policy of installing EV charging...
The excitement around electric cars seems like a lot of hype. Electric cars do not seem to be a step forward in the right direction. In the long term, they will probably end up as more of a diversion from the way ahead. Below are two main reasons I think so, and a possible alternative.   Electric cars are not clean People tend to think of electric cars as 'clean' compared to petrol cars simply because they cannot 'see' the emissions being...