Home improvement, renovation or remodelling is the process of making changes or additions to a home. It refers to building projects that might change the structure already existing, but could also mean the improvements to outdoor structures like the garden or the garage. General objectives for home improvement are:
1. To add comfort - this would require upgrading the heating, ventilation or air conditioning systems as well as waterproofing basements
2. Maintenance and repair – Repairing the roofing, flooring, foundation or chimney repairs
3. Adding additional space by creating new rooms or turning attics into spare rooms.
4. To save energy by making provisions for use of renewable energy, solar panels and wind turbines etc.
5. Increasing the safety aspects of the home through additions of security doors and burglar alarms etc.
6. Caring for environmental concerns especially noise and air pollution.
There are three main ways to manage home improvement – either a contractor is hired, or through home improvement videos or a do it yourself home improvement tips. There are advantages and disadvantages to utilising all three ways. The contractor will oversee the whole project and will involve other trades like the mason, electrician or plumber etc. A free estimate of the cost will also be provided. Sometimes when people are thinking of improving their homes they bypass the contractor completely and hire these traders themselves especially if they are using home improvement videos. This is especially recommended for the budget conscious. The videos provide full details on how to carry out the home improvement with detailed step by step information. This includes the choice of home building and home decorating materials with observations, quality and best price. They also give details on where to get the materials. In fact, the home improvement video is so detailed that a person attempting to improve his home can’t make a mistake if he follows the video correctly. For example, if the video depicts how to remodel the kitchen, it provides the details of the kind of cabinets that can be used, where to get the materials, how to go about assembling them and the carpentry that is involved, putting in brackets on the walls and the final finish etc. This is wonderful help for home owners who are using the do it yourself home improvement videos.
There are some major American retailers who specialize in selling material and tools for the do it yourself home improvement and store many books to teach and show customers on how to do improve their homes themselves. All the home owner should do is to be more creative on the planning and execution of what is required with regard to changing the home and the home improvement videos and the do it yourself improvement kits will do the rest.