Related Forum Threads
- Green Baby Giveaway - Win a FREE Bottoms Up Washable Cloth Baby Wipes Kit! Last post on 4/26/12 at 2:28pm in Green Options Giveaways
- A cloth diaper is a cloth diaper? Last post on 1/20/11 at 2:07pm in Babies & Kids
- Free Cloth Diapers... Last post on 1/9/13 at 10:57am in Babies & Kids
- CD's in boiling water Last post on 2/2/09 at 10:31am in Babies & Kids
- Make Your Own Cloth Diapers & Cloth Wipes Last post on 1/23/09 at 7:30pm in Babies & Kids
Cloth Diapering 101
Edited on 6/13/12
- Why Organic Cloth Diapers Are UniqueEdited on 1/10/09
- Natural Ways To Heal And Prevent Nappy RashEdited on 1/24/11
- Top 5 Eco Diapers And Nappies
Related Blog Posts
Cloth or Disposable: The Grist’s Ask Umbra Weighs in on the Great Diaper Debate
Published on 11/11/08 by EcoChildsPlay.com
Diaper Your Natural Baby
Published on 11/5/08 by EcoChildsPlay.com
- categoryDiapers Nappies
Alphabetical Article List
Tip To Less Mess With Prefold And Pins Cloth Diaper Method
If you are wanting to be green, or wanting to be cheap, cloth is the way to go for diapering. That said, some types of cloth diapers can be very expensive initially. This post is about your cheapest cloth buying option.
Your least expensive option is going to be prefold cloth diapers, safety pins and pull up vinyl covers. To start you out is going to cost about $20-$25 for one 12pk of prefolds, 6pk of covers, and we just used the oversized saftey pins from the sewing sections cause we could never find diaper pins. The only think you need to buy as your baby grows is the corresponding sizes of covers. This is the cheapest way. Many mom's have said this way is horrible, while I agree that it is the least convient, I don't really think it's as bad as some think if done correctly. However, I believe there is some technique involved that is often missed.
The first tip I can give is something that I have learned is a MUST when you change your baby. You must have a portable changing pad, preferably something that wipes clean, otherwise you need to have a very handily positioned changing table. Either way you really don't want to change baby on the carpet or couch or other places like that without the portable pad, poop and pee don't come out of those so easy, and once that vinyl cover is down the cloth diaper is not leak proof anymore.
The second thing you must do is have wipes and everything for diapering near by, I know some may say "duh!" but my husband did not understand this concept at first, so now I always make sure to say so, just in case others may not either.
When it's time to change baby, once you have them on the pad or changing table pull the vinyl cover down just enough to expose the pin on one side and unpin the diaper, then do the same with the other side. Do not pull the vinyl cover off until you do this. Then place you hand flat against babies back so that baby is laying on your hand, use this hand to hold the top of the cloth prefold diaper in place as you use the other hand to pull the cover off from the back side. This will avoid the poopy messes you could get otherwise trying to strip the cover down other ways and will also help keep wet diapers managable.
Once free of the cover you can check out what's going on, from hear out you change just like any diaper. Clean up poop, wipe down, powder if needed if wet to help dry off (remember no diaper rash creme on cloth diapers without using powder as a barrier, otherwise you can effect absobancy) pull the diaper up and if poop put aside for rinsing poop off before tossing in pail, if wet toss in pail. Put another prefold under baby, pin them up and pull on the cover. Good to go for another round.
This is the easiest way I have learned to deal with this method of cloth diapering, personally. For me the monetary savings makes the slight inconvience so worth it. Especially once you get the hang of it!
- Why Organic Cloth Diapers Are Unique
- › SAFE GREEN CLEANING PRODUCTS FOR BABIES/KIDS 18 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › Least expensive green products? 19 hours, 18 minutes ago
- › Conservation before Generation 1 day, 16 hours ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 3 days, 3 hours ago
- › The Tyler Group News Blog Reviews: China factory PMI | Imdb 3 days, 4 hours ago
- › Anger Management: How To Deal With Anger 3 days, 11 hours ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 3 days, 11 hours ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 3 days, 11 hours ago
- › Industrial Steam Boilers 3 days, 12 hours ago
- › My list of Fakers and Not Fakers 3 days, 19 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Earl—A Solar Tablet for the Wanderlust... by SolarReviews
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru
- › Report Anticipates 220 New Gigawatts of... by SolarReviews
- › Mosaic’s Latest Solar Project Sends... by SolarReviews
- › Google, Cisco are Coolest IT Companies, Says... by SolarReviews