Related Forum Threads
- You spend 90% of your time indoors Last post on 3/20/08 at 9:47am in Home & Garden
- Environmental Protection Agency issues final ruling for greenhouse gas regulations Last post on 5/15/10 at 2:54pm in Environmental News and Politics
- Indoor Air Quality Testing Last post on 3/21/11 at 9:23am in Home & Garden
- Gas reduces traffic -- even in China! Last post on 8/5/08 at 7:52pm in Transportation
- Natual Air Purifiers...I don't have anywhere else to post this. Last post on 6/16/08 at 10:40am in Home & Garden
Plants That Naturally Detox Your Air And Improve Indoor Air Quality
Edited on 1/27/11
- How To Improve Your Indoor Air QualityEdited on 3/30/11
- Shoes Off In The House For Better Indoor Air QualityEdited on 1/24/11
- Dry Cleaning
Related Blog Posts
All You Need for Fresh Air: 3 Essential Green Plants
Published on 3/22/09 by greenUPGRADER
Book Review: Smogtown: The Lung-Burning History of Pollution in Los Angeles, by Chip Jacobs and...
Published on 12/10/08 by sustainablog
Alphabetical Article List
Solve Indoor Air PollutionPosted 02/26/10 • Last updated 10/05/12 • 255 views • 2 comments
Plenty of things can contribute to air pollution in your home. A good goal is to have pure, clean air inside your home, for both planet health and the health of your family. Allergies, asthma, and even cold-like illnesses can all be affected by poor indoor air quality.
- Use an Apple computer. Apple computers are free of PBDE which makes them a bit greener than PCs.
- Use a cloth not vinyl shower liner. Vinyl shower liners are very hard to keep clean and worse release icky chemicals into your home air and in some people these chemicals can even cause allergic reactions.
- Opt out of dry cleaning. Choose greener dry cleaners if you must own goods that need dry cleaned but be leery of bad so called "green" cleaners.
- Don’t forget your pets. Most people don’t consider their pets when it comes to greening their home, but your dog’s bed may be releasing chemicals if you haven’t gone organic. A good dog bed can do double duty for your air quality. Dog and cat beds capture a lot of dander and if you go organic (or buy beds made with natural materials) the bed won’t release chemicals found in conventional cotton.
- Choose an eco-friendly mattress and pillow. Conventional cotton can be jam packed with pesticides and insecticides. Many of the synthetic fabrics and materials used in conventional mattresses and pillows are made with non-renewable petroleum products. These products are often further treated with chemicals that can, over time, emit icky junk into the air (and into your peaceful dreams).
- Take your shoes off at home. Research shows that shoes drag in way more eco-baddies than we think. From pesticides to chemicals whatever is on your shoes comes inside with you and gets tracked all over your house.
- Learn how to properly dispose of and / or recycle hazardous household waste.
- If you build a home, choose a green architect and green building supplies.
- Avoid products that contain PVC. You can look for PVC-free labels or check out the PVC-free family guide.
- Buy sustainable furniture that's not made with pressed wood and particle board – both of which are heavy on VOCs.
- Use natural air fresheners instead of store-bought chemical air fresheners.
- Light cleaner candles: Soy or beeswax candles are a littler better for your health than wax candles plus burn cleaner and produce less soot.
- Don't smoke indoors.
- Open the windows: Fresh incoming air is a great way to push out old stale air and any household fumes.
- Buy some houseplants that naturally clean the air.
- Have your home's duct work cleaned.
- Quit stirring up the dust. Always use a damp, not dry cloth to dust. Avoid feather dusters as well.
- Clean your home with green cleaners.
- Make sure your home is as free of mold, carbon monoxide, and VOCs as possible.
- Tile your floor instead of installing carpet. Carpet creates a toxic out-gassing which can have respiratory effects.
- Avoid using toxic household cleansers that are composed of chemicals. Instead clean with non-toxic vinegar, lemon, baking soda, cornstarch, borax, washing soda, and Isoprophyl Alcohol.
More resources:See which U.S. cities have with the best & worst air quality
Bad Air - Indoor Air Quality & You: http://fhfurr.com/furr-resources/tips-and-articles/
- How To Improve Your Indoor Air Quality
- › Your Running Shoes’ Carbon Footprint 20 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › Crown Capital Management Jakarta Indonesia: Pentalver Launch... 1 day, 1 hour ago
- › Crown Eco Jakarta Capital Management Reviews: Eco-Friendly Housing... 1 day, 1 hour ago
- › SAFE GREEN CLEANING PRODUCTS FOR BABIES/KIDS 2 days, 10 hours ago
- › Least expensive green products? 2 days, 10 hours ago
- › Conservation before Generation 3 days, 8 hours ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 4 days, 18 hours ago
- › The Tyler Group News Blog Reviews: China factory PMI | Imdb 4 days, 20 hours ago
- › Anger Management: How To Deal With Anger 5 days, 2 hours ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 5 days, 2 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery by SamsonEd
- › Running Shoes's Heavy Tread on O-Zone by SamsonEd
- › New NASA Technology Set to Watch Rocketing... by SamsonEd
- › Earl—A Solar Tablet for the Wanderlust... by SolarReviews
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru