Organic clothing is clothing that is made from materials that are raised or grown without the use of chemicals in the form of pesticides - herbicides or other chemicals. Cotton covers 2.5% of the world's cultivated land yet uses 16% of the world's insecticides, more than any other single major crop. It can take almost a 1/3 pound of synthetic fertilizers to grow one pound of raw cotton in the US, and it takes just under one pound of raw cotton to make one t-shirt.
Authentic organic fabrics and clothing can help the environment in a number of ways.
- Manufacture of chemicals is not required.
- Chemical residues are not entered accidentally into the environment.
- Humans and animals are not exposed to chemicals.
- When the fabric is finished with chemicals are not returned to the earth in landfill, or enter into recycling process.
Popular Producers of Organic Clothing Include:
Places To Buy Organic Clothing:
- Organic Shirts Store organicshirtsstore.com