Related Forum Threads
- Turning Trash Into Clean Energy - U.S. Lags Behind Europe Last post on 4/26/10 at 3:56am in Renewable Energy
- DIY Energy Audits Last post on 9/10/10 at 1:41pm in Home & Garden
- Easy Green New Year's Resolutions Last post on 1/26/11 at 1:32pm in Take Action Near You
- Beware - LED bulb reliability Last post on 3/15/13 at 1:30pm in Home & Garden
- Useless 'Renewable Energy' Sources Last post on 8/26/10 at 8:01am in Renewable Energy
Introducing the Brand New QHC LED High Bay
Edited on 11/16/12
- Introduction To Energy Efficient LightingEdited on 4/10/12
- Keep Your Winter Heating Bills LowEdited on 9/26/11
- Eco Friendly Audio Equipment
Related Blog Posts
Top 10 Tips for Creating an Eco Friendly Home
Published on 11/29/12 by greenUPGRADER
Can Portable Buildings Provide a Greener Infrastructure Alternative?
Published on 6/4/12 by sustainablog
Upgrading Your Windows? [INFOGRAPHIC]
Published on 2/28/12 by greenUPGRADER
One Simple Way to Conserve Water at Home: Take a Navy Shower!
Published on 1/25/12 by sustainablog
Quick Energy Saver: Clean Your Refrigerator Coils
Published on 10/25/11 by greenUPGRADER
Alphabetical Article List
Maximizing Your Use Of Daylight
An Introduction to Daylighting
According to Wikipedia, daylighting is "is the practice of placing windows, or other transparent media, and reflective surfaces so that, during the day, natural light provides effective internal illumination."
Today's highly energy-efficient windows, as well as advances in lighting design, allow efficient use of windows to reduce the need for artificial lighting during daylight hours without causing heating or cooling problems.
The best way to incorporate daylighting in your home depends on your climate and home's design. The sizes and locations of windows should be based on the cardinal directions rather than their effect on the street-side appearance of the house.
South-facing windows are most advantageous for daylighting and for moderating seasonal temperatures. They allow most winter sunlight into the home but little direct sun during the summer, especially when properly shaded.
North-facing windows are also advantageous for daylighting. They admit relatively even, natural light, producing little glare and almost no unwanted summer heat gain.
Although east- and west-facing windows provide good daylight penetration in the morning and evening, respectively, they're usage should be limited. They may cause glare, admit a lot of heat during the summer when it is usually not wanted, and contribute little to solar heating during the winter.
There are a variety of new skylighting technologies to provide interior lighting with limited glare.
New Home Construction
If you're constructing a new home, consider daylighting as part of your whole-house or integrated design.
- Introduction To Energy Efficient Lighting
- › Crown Jakarta Capital Eco Management News : Households to get... 6 minutes ago
- › Your Running Shoes’ Carbon Footprint 5 hours, 47 minutes ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost through Boiler Efficiency 13 hours, 51 minutes ago
- › Crown Capital Management Jakarta Indonesia: Pentalver Launch... 1 day, 23 hours ago
- › Crown Eco Jakarta Capital Management Reviews: Eco-Friendly Housing... 1 day, 23 hours ago
- › SAFE GREEN CLEANING PRODUCTS FOR BABIES/KIDS 3 days, 7 hours ago
- › Least expensive green products? 3 days, 8 hours ago
- › Conservation before Generation 4 days, 6 hours ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 5 days, 16 hours ago
- › The Tyler Group News Blog Reviews: China factory PMI | Imdb 5 days, 17 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery by SamsonEd
- › Running Shoes's Heavy Tread on O-Zone by SamsonEd
- › New NASA Technology Set to Watch Rocketing... by SamsonEd
- › Earl—A Solar Tablet for the Wanderlust... by SolarReviews
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru