Related Forum Threads
- save water begining your shower. Last post on 10/28/11 at 6:55am in Other Green Stuff & Green Services
- New EPA program for water conservation Last post on 11/26/07 at 1:21pm in Environmental News and Politics
- See Disneynature’s OCEANS on Earth Day 2010! Last post on 4/14/10 at 2:29pm in Other Green Stuff & Green Services
- Simple water saving techniques Last post on 6/23/09 at 4:03pm in Ask An Industry Leader
- SNL Junk Mail video Last post on 5/23/09 at 7:55am in Take Action Online
How To Save Water Around The House
Edited on 3/30/11
- Frugal Beginners Guide To GreenEdited on 9/26/11
- Frugal Intermediates Guide To GreenEdited on 9/26/11
Related Blog Posts
Find Out What Your Water Footprint Is And How To Reduce It.
Published on 6/5/08 by The Good Human
Going Back To The Corded Phone To Save Energy.
Published on 5/15/08 by The Good Human
Could Research Show That People Are Not Interested In Green Homes?
Published on 4/8/08 by The Good Human
New Free Font “Ecofont” Reduces Ink in Printing by 20%
Published on 12/12/08 by sustainablog
Standby Kill Chip: The End of Vampire Power?
Published on 12/3/08 by Cleantechnica
Alphabetical Article List
Introduction To Aerators
What is an Aerator?
Aerators are small devices that mix air with a flow of water and are used to oxygenate water, smooth the flow, reduce splashing, and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, reduce total water flow while maintaining pressure.
How do I know if I need one?
For your faucet:
If an aerator is already installed on your faucet, it will have its rated flow imprinted on the side. This should read 2.75 gpm (gallons per minute) or lower. On Huddler, there are aerators that reduce flow all the way to .5 GPM.
Replace the current aerator if it's over 2.75gpm. If no aerator is installed, check to see if there are threads just inside the tip of the faucet. Most modern faucets are threaded to accept aerators.
For your shower:
Set a 2qt. saucepan on the floor of the shower and position it in the middle of the shower stream. With shower on full, count how many seconds it takes to fill the pan. If it takes fewer than 12 seconds, you could use a low-flow shower head. If you have a low-flow shower head installed, it should read 2.5 gpm or less.
1. Unscrew the old aerator if one is installed. This can often be done by hand. If you need more force, use a channel-lock pliers, vise-grips or small pipe wrench. Unscrew smoothly and steadily - don't jerk hard or you might damage the threads.
2. Apply a single wrap of white pipe tape around the threads of the new aerator.
3. Put the rubber washer inside the end and screw the new aerator by hand onto the faucet.
4. Run water to test. If it leaks out the side, try tightening more by hand. Test again. If there is still a small leak, use a pliers to tighten. Put a damp cloth around the aerator first to protect the finish from the pliers. Don't use a pipe wrench because it might bite through the cloth and mar the finish. Take care not to over-tighten.
- Frugal Beginners Guide To Green
- › My list of Fakers and Not Fakers 25 minutes ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 1 day, 15 hours ago
- › The Avanti Group News Articles: Pre-engineered CHP systems 2 days, 12 hours ago
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery 3 days ago
- › The Trouble with Asbestos Disposal 3 days, 1 hour ago
- › Avanti pr code 81345782170 Hong Kong Engineering - the avanti group... 3 days, 10 hours ago
- › Crown Eco Jakarta Capital Management Reviews: Eco-Friendly Housing... 3 days, 10 hours ago
- › Event Boiler News - ZIMBIO 3 days, 10 hours ago
- › Crown Capital Eco Management Jakarta Reviews 3 days, 12 hours ago
- › Crown Capital Eco Management : World's First Algae House Produces... 4 days, 10 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru
- › Report Anticipates 220 New Gigawatts of... by SolarReviews
- › Mosaic’s Latest Solar Project Sends... by SolarReviews
- › Google, Cisco are Coolest IT Companies, Says... by SolarReviews
- › Car or Motorcycle? A Stunning New Electric... by GreenJobsGuru