Related Forum Threads
- Phthalates in Method? Last post on 2/13/09 at 10:20am in Home & Garden
- Shaklee Last post on 10/22/12 at 10:23pm in Home & Garden
- bpa in more then just baby bottles Last post on 10/16/08 at 9:22am in Healthy Food & Beverage
- Natural ingredients are no longer just for hippies Last post on 10/13/08 at 10:38am in Home & Garden
- Exercise for the Earth Last post on 6/24/08 at 9:34am in Other Green Stuff & Green Services
Green Pocket Guides
Edited on 1/17/11
- Long List Of Green Freebies And Budget HelpersEdited on 7/8/11
- BleachEdited on 5/17/11
- His And Her Products
Related Blog Posts
Harvesting Justice 10: Small Farms Fight Back – Food and Community Self-Governance
Published on 4/16/13 by sustainablog
100% Natural, Safe Haircare for Pregnancy and Beyond: Nine Naturals
Published on 4/13/13 by EcoChildsPlay.com
Sugar vs. Salt Body Scrubs: Recipes & Tips to Make All-Natural Skincare Remedies
Published on 4/12/13 by sustainablog
Harvesting Justice #7: The True Cost of Industrialized Food
Published on 3/26/13 by sustainablog
Harvesting Justice #3: Food and Land at the Service of People – An Interview with Peter Rosset
Published on 2/26/13 by sustainablog
Alphabetical Article List
Ingredients To AvoidPosted 06/11/08 • Last updated 12/18/08 • 735 views • 0 comments
Personal Care Products
Methyl-, propyl-, butyl-, and ethyl-paraben Most commonly created from petroleum. Used as inhibitors of microbial growth and to extend shelf life of products. Widely used even though they are known to be toxic and linked to cancer. Have caused many allergic reactions and skin rashes. Methyl paraben combines benzoic acid with the methyl group of chemicals. Parabens are highly toxic. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Chemcially derived from coconut, thus altering it from its original natural state, this synthetic substance is used in shampoos for its detergent and foam-building abilities. It causes eye irritations, skin rashes, hair loss, scalp scurf similar to dandruff, and allergic reactions. It is frequently disguised in pseudo-natural cosmetics with the parenthetic explanation "comes from coconut." Pthalates (frequently hide in "fragrance")
These plasticizer chemicals endocrine disruptors which can cause damage to male sex organs and sperm, feminization of baby boys, or infertility. Avoid dibutyl phthalate in nail polish.
1,4-dioxane and other Petroleum Byproducts
These ingredients include carcinogens in baby shampoo (see new research on 1,4-dioxane) and petrochemical waste called coal tar in scalp treatment shampoos.
Know something? Add it here.
Mercury has been linked to birth defects and is beleived to be linked to increased rates of autism in children according to new studies.
Particles smaller than 100nm (nanometers) which can be easily absorbed by the skin to enter the blood stream and pass through cell membranes. Most commonly used in sunblocks to make zinc and titanium dioxide transparent, to avoid the whitening effect. Titanium dioxide should not be absorbed into the blood stream because of risk of damaging brain cells. Zinc should not be absorbed in high doses by the body because the risk of weakening immune system. Micronized particles, which are larger in size, are not the same as Nanoparticles.
From Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS):
Poison! Danger! Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Harmful if inhaled or absorbed through skin.
Vapor harmful. Flammable liquid and vapor. May affect liver, kidneys, blood system, or central nervous system. Causes irritation to skin, eyes and respiratory tract.
Inhalation: inhalation may cause irritation of the upper respiratory tract. Symptoms of overexposure may include fatigue, confusion, headache, dizziness and drowsiness. Peculiar skin sensations (e. G. Pins and needles) or numbness may be produced. Very high concentrations may cause unconsciousness and death.
Ingestion: swallowing may cause abdominal spasms and other symptoms that parallel over-exposure from inhalation. Aspiration of material into the lungs can cause chemical pneumonitis, which may be fatal. Skin contact: causes irritation. May be absorbed through skin.
Eye contact: causes severe eye irritation with redness and pain. Chronic exposure: reports of chronic poisoning describe anemia, decreased blood cell count and bone marrow hypoplasia. Liver and kidney damage may occur. Repeated or prolonged contact has a defatting action, causing drying, redness, and dermatitis.
Exposure to toluene may affect the developing foetus.
Palm Oil Harvesting palm oil is highly destructive to the environment- it leads to deforestation, extremely high levels of carbon emissions being released into the atmosphere, and endangers several species, including the orangutan. Learn more on the palm oil wiki.
2-butoxyethanol Also known as ethylene glycol butyl ether, this is one of many glycol ethers used as a solvent in carpet cleaners and specialty cleaners. It can be inhaled or absorbed through the skin and may cause blood disorders, as well as liver and kidney damage. According to the fact sheet issued by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services, it may also cause reproductive damage on long term exposure. Phosphates Know something? Add it here. Ethoxylated nonyl phenols (NPEs)
Ethoxylated surfactants are widely used in cosmetics as foaming agents, emulsifiers and humectants. As part of the manufacturing process the toxic chemical 1,4-dioxane, a potent carcinogen, is generated.
On the label, they are identified by the prefix "PEG", "polyethylene", "polyethylene glycol", "polyoxyethylene", "-eth-", or "-oxynol-".
PFCs, including PFOS and PFOA
PFCs are used in wrappers for fast-food sandwiches, french fries, pizza, baked goods, beverages, and candies because it allows the packaging to resist staining and grease spots. These chemicals may leech into food, especially if the food is heated. These chemicals suspected carcinogens, linked to pregnancy complications, and have caused breast tumors and developmental problems in laboratory animals.
Bisphenol A (BPA)
This chemical is why everyone is dumping their nalgene bottle- but it's also used in the linings of most tin cans. BPA is linked to hormone imbalances, breast and prostate cancer, early puberty and changes in brain structure. The Environmental Working Group tested BPA levels in canned food and found BPA in over half of the cans. Chicken soup, infant formula, and tomato based products were the worst canned offenders.
PVC Contains the phthalate DEHP (Bis(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate) which has banned the use of DEHP as well as other phthalates in PVC toys.
- Long List Of Green Freebies And Budget Helpers
- › SAFE GREEN CLEANING PRODUCTS FOR BABIES/KIDS 3 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Least expensive green products? 4 hours, 29 minutes ago
- › Conservation before Generation 1 day, 2 hours ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 2 days, 12 hours ago
- › The Tyler Group News Blog Reviews: China factory PMI | Imdb 2 days, 13 hours ago
- › Anger Management: How To Deal With Anger 2 days, 20 hours ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 2 days, 20 hours ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 2 days, 20 hours ago
- › Industrial Steam Boilers 2 days, 21 hours ago
- › My list of Fakers and Not Fakers 3 days, 4 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Earl—A Solar Tablet for the Wanderlust... by SolarReviews
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru
- › Report Anticipates 220 New Gigawatts of... by SolarReviews
- › Mosaic’s Latest Solar Project Sends... by SolarReviews
- › Google, Cisco are Coolest IT Companies, Says... by SolarReviews