Related Forum Threads
- airconditioning heat recovery for hot water Last post on 4/11/09 at 10:50pm in Home & Garden
- Cool-N-Save to lower airconditioning cost Last post on 6/16/11 at 7:48am in Home & Garden
- Drafts, energy saving, and door snakes Last post on 12/22/08 at 10:16am in Home & Garden
- Making Our Home Efficient is Turning into a Nightmare! Last post on 12/25/08 at 1:43pm in Home & Garden
- Central Air or Window Units - Which is greener Last post on 3/5/09 at 11:29am in Home & Garden
How To Save Energy Around The House
Edited on 3/30/11
- How To Get Tax Credits For Energy EfficiencyEdited on 3/30/11
- Keep Your Winter Heating Bills LowEdited on 9/26/11
- Energy Audits For The Home
Alphabetical Article List
How To Make Your Hvac More Efficient
When looking into HVAC systems or components, remember that lab ratings of efficiency are not equivalent to the real world (although the Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency rating and the Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio are important, do not expect to get efficiency that high). Testing occurs in very particular conditions (with very little air flow resistance and always at a constant 82 degree outdoor temperature). Not to mention, most HVAC installations are not perfect in the real world. However, despite these complications, there are ways to make your HVAC more efficient.
- If you are an architect (or if you are working with an architect), look into designing a low resistance duct system (this will have short, appropriately large ducts with plenty of room to install them). Low resistance will help to efficiently deliver heating or cooling to your home.
- Verify that the installed flow, duct resistance, and watt draws meet the specification of your system.
- Reduce the need for heating and cooling.
- Overhangs help prevent sun from entering your home, thereby keeping it cooler (curtains and window shades can also provide this kind of protection).
- Low E windows can help light pass through your windows will preventing thermal heat from moving through. Check out Efficient Windows for more information.
- In your building projects, make sure you have a verified low leakage shell and verified leakless ducts.
- Make sure your installation is a close to perfect as humanly possible.
- Get a Home Energy Rater to come out and inspect your home. You can find one at RESNET.
- Find a duct tester to come check your ducts! Leaky ducts can reduce your heating and cooling efficiency by 20%. And by fixing leaky ducts, the average home can save up to $150 annually. Check out the National Air Duct Cleaners Association for a technician near you.
- When looking to buy a new furnace, boiler, air conditioner, or heat pump, invest in one with Energy Star qualification.
- How To Get Tax Credits For Energy Efficiency
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 1 day, 8 hours ago
- › The Tyler Group News Blog Reviews: China factory PMI | Imdb 1 day, 10 hours ago
- › Anger Management: How To Deal With Anger 1 day, 16 hours ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 1 day, 16 hours ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 1 day, 17 hours ago
- › Industrial Steam Boilers 1 day, 17 hours ago
- › My list of Fakers and Not Fakers 2 days ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 3 days, 15 hours ago
- › The Avanti Group News Articles: Pre-engineered CHP systems 4 days, 12 hours ago
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery 5 days, 1 hour ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Earl—A Solar Tablet for the Wanderlust... by SolarReviews
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru
- › Report Anticipates 220 New Gigawatts of... by SolarReviews
- › Mosaic’s Latest Solar Project Sends... by SolarReviews
- › Google, Cisco are Coolest IT Companies, Says... by SolarReviews