Related Forum Threads
- Kaiser Permanente Launches Sustainability Scorecard for Medical Products Last post on 5/4/10 at 11:00am in Personal Care & Clothing
- Foods that the health experts won't eat! Last post on 11/24/12 at 12:28pm in Healthy Food & Beverage
- Shaklee Last post on 10/22/12 at 10:23pm in Home & Garden
- Trim the Fat, Save the Earth? Last post on 1/6/09 at 10:30am in Healthy Food & Beverage
- Melamine Found In US Infant Forumla, Government NOT Recalling, Tells Parents To Keep Using Last post on 12/4/08 at 7:27am in Babies & Kids
Green Pocket Guides
Edited on 1/17/11
- Bisphenol AEdited on 1/17/11
- Long List Of Green Freebies And Budget HelpersEdited on 7/8/11
Related Blog Posts
Harvesting Justice 10: Small Farms Fight Back – Food and Community Self-Governance
Published on 4/16/13 by sustainablog
Sugar vs. Salt Body Scrubs: Recipes & Tips to Make All-Natural Skincare Remedies
Published on 4/12/13 by sustainablog
Harvesting Justice #7: The True Cost of Industrialized Food
Published on 3/26/13 by sustainablog
Harvesting Justice #3: Food and Land at the Service of People – An Interview with Peter Rosset
Published on 2/26/13 by sustainablog
Cultivating a Better Food System in 2013
Published on 12/20/12 by sustainablog
- topicHuman Health
Alphabetical Article List
How To Green Your Exercise RoutinePosted 12/11/08 • Last updated 05/12/11 • 1614 views • 0 comments
According to an article in the New York Times the average person gains 7 to 10 pounds during the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. That’s a lot of extra “holiday cheer” for a person to gain in a one month period.
With spring upon us and summer around the corner, are you looking to amp up your work out routine? Need some eco-inspiration? Read on to learn how to get your sweat on in a sustainable way.
How to Green Your Exercise Routine
You may not think that a few simple actions can help you lose weight and reduce your carbon footprint at the same time, but if you follow these tips you’ll be well on your way to a green exercise routine:
- Try a Reusable Water Bottle
Staying hydrated is important when you exercise so instead of buying a pack of bottled water and creating more plastic waste how about using a stainless steel or recycled water bottle that you can wash and reuse again.
- Organic Eats
Get your energy boost with organic cereal and granola bars, or try a homemade smoothie by mixing organic yogurt, orange juice and fruit together in a blender.
- Walk, Run or Ride a Bike or Hike
You don’t need an exercise machine that uses electricity to help you burn calories. You can always get your green exercise by walking, running or riding a bike around a park or neighborhood. You can even take along biodegradable bags and pick up trash and recyclable aluminum cans along the way to help clean up your surroundings. Or you can hike to get your heart rate up while enjoying nature and without supporting a corporate gym!
- Dress the Part
Whether you need a sports bra, running shorts or workout sneakers you can always find clothing and accessories made from organic cotton, recycled fabric, bamboo and other natural ingredients. You should also donate your old workout clothes to thrift stores.
- Plant a Garden
If you have a backyard with available space or know someone who does then you can get a weekly workout by planting a garden. All the digging, planting, watering and weeding will give you a great workout every time you visit the garden, plus you can eat your organic fruits and vegetables as a healthy meal! To be extra eco friendly you can reuse rainwater caught in a barrel to water the plants.
- Save Water: Wash Your Towels Less
Most likely you are going to take a shower after a heavy workout. If you use a towel to wipe away sweat you don’t have to wash it after its first use. Reuse the towel a few times more since you’re going to take a shower anyways. This will help conserve water because you’ll be using the washing machine less.
- Natural Deodorants
Many deodorants contain harmful ingredients such as aluminum and formaldehyde, so freshen up after your hard workout by using deodorants made from all natural plant based ingredients or make your own. Also, make sure that the product is certified “cruelty-free” to prove that it has not been tested on animals.
- Encourage Your Gym to Go Green
Gyms are starting to install green cardio equipment, which usually uses energy from your pedaling or running to generate electricity, which is then used to power the gym.
You shouldn’t practice these tips only during the holidays. You should make them a part of your daily eco lifestyle routine. You’ll not only get in shape and help out the environment, but you’ll also get a gift every day instead of on holidays.
- Bisphenol A
- › Your Running Shoes’ Carbon Footprint 21 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › Crown Capital Management Jakarta Indonesia: Pentalver Launch... 1 day, 2 hours ago
- › Crown Eco Jakarta Capital Management Reviews: Eco-Friendly Housing... 1 day, 2 hours ago
- › SAFE GREEN CLEANING PRODUCTS FOR BABIES/KIDS 2 days, 11 hours ago
- › Least expensive green products? 2 days, 11 hours ago
- › Conservation before Generation 3 days, 9 hours ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 4 days, 19 hours ago
- › The Tyler Group News Blog Reviews: China factory PMI | Imdb 4 days, 21 hours ago
- › Anger Management: How To Deal With Anger 5 days, 3 hours ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 5 days, 3 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery by SamsonEd
- › Running Shoes's Heavy Tread on O-Zone by SamsonEd
- › New NASA Technology Set to Watch Rocketing... by SamsonEd
- › Earl—A Solar Tablet for the Wanderlust... by SolarReviews
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru