Related Forum Threads
- Know your clothes are "green!" Last post on 3/20/13 at 2:01am in Personal Care & Clothing
- Project Runway has an eco-fashionista? Last post on 10/16/08 at 3:40pm in Personal Care & Clothing
- Sustainable fabrics in clothing -- bamboo the next frontier? Last post on 11/10/08 at 12:52pm in Personal Care & Clothing
- What did you do today? Last post on 3/4/11 at 9:37pm in Take Action Near You
- Glass Recycle Week's New Website for Kids Last post on 9/13/10 at 10:28am in Babies & Kids
Green Thrift Store Shopping Tips
Edited on 9/26/11
- Dry CleaningEdited on 6/18/08
- Places To Shop For Eco Friendly Clothes In NycEdited on 9/26/11
- Cutting Down On Waste This Holiday Season
Related Blog Posts
Avita Eco-Chic Guilt Free Recycled Cashmere
Published on 11/5/08 by greenUPGRADER
5 Upcycled DIY Jewelry Projects
Published on 6/11/13 by greenUPGRADER
5 Ways to Reduce Waste and Save Money at the Same Time
Published on 6/4/13 by sustainablog
Spotted: DIY Bling from Old Magazines!
Published on 6/4/13 by greenUPGRADER
Ten Ways to Conserve Water and Paper
Published on 5/20/13 by sustainablog
Alphabetical Article List
How To Green Your ClothingPosted 12/6/07 • Last updated 7/19/12 • 396 views • 0 comments
- Choose wisely. Even though that great shirt may look cool on the rack, if it doesn’t fit in your wardrobe, think twice.
- Take care of your clothes. There’s no need to wash your car in your new work suit. By taking care of your garments, you can extend their useful lives. Follow instructions on label. Hang drying or air drying adds considerable life to all clothes.
- Get clothes repaired or altered instead of buying something new.
- Think long and hard about clothes that need to be dry cleaned. Dry cleaning processes frequently involve the use of perc (also known as tetrachloroethylene), which is a known carcinogen. Silk, wool, and linen can often be washed by hand instead of dry cleaned. If professional cleaning is necessary, try finding a green cleaner that uses either liquid carbon dioxide or water (know as wet cleaning). Use Earth 911 to find local wet cleaners. In the San Francisco Bay Area, try Elephant Pharm. In New York, try Green Apple Cleaners.
- Wash your clothes with care. Use the lowest temperature setting. Turn garments inside out. Use biodegradable laundry detergent and line dry when you can. Use nontoxic stain removers. Look for Energy Star washing machines.
- Buy vintage.
- Buy organic and sustainable. Do your research. Make sure the products you get are actually what you think they are (organic doesn’t always mean made without toxic chemicals). Check out Nau, Enamore, The Green Loop, Patagonia, and others. Also, check out BTC Elements for a sustainable boutique.
- Buy fair-trade. Check out SweatShop Watch, Behind The Label, Altiplano and Ten Thousand Villages for more information.
- Reuse or reinvent. Make an old pair of jeans into cut-off shorts.
- If you find something in the back of your closet that you just don’t want anymore, instead of sending it to the landfill, take it to Goodwill, Salvation Army, or Freecycle it.
- Dry Cleaning
Currently, there are 278 Active Users (0 Members and 278 Guests)
- › Earth Day: Top 5 best ways to Green your home for less 1 week, 3 days ago
- › Which is greener: bidets or toilet paper? 1 week, 3 days ago
- › Has anyone tried Sanre organic skinfood products? 2 weeks ago
- › Recommendations for Green Apps? 2 weeks, 6 days ago
- › The EV-Hater's Guide to Hating Electric Cars 3 weeks ago
- › Your Running Shoes’ Carbon Footprint 3 weeks, 3 days ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost through Boiler Efficiency 3 weeks, 3 days ago
- › Conservation before Generation 4 weeks ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 4 weeks, 1 day ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 4 weeks, 1 day ago
- › Fiber Element Bamboo sheet set by tw6852
- › Brush with Bamboo - Ecological Bamboo Toothbrush Family Pack by jtangerine
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › Thinking Outside the Rooftop by SolarReviews
- › The Role of Politics in the Planning of Wind... by leahjarratt
- › How to distinguish poor quality LED light and... by floodlights
- › How to Recycle With House Clearances by Fleur
- › Starwood Hotels & Resorts Starts its... by SolarReviews
- › How to choose qualified LED lighting by floodlights
- › Build Your Green Home by Thomas Caulen
- › Brazil Prepares for the 2014 World Cup With... by SolarReviews
- › How to choose healthy environmental... by floodlights
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery by SamsonEd