- Choose wisely. Even though that great shirt may look cool on the rack, if it doesn’t fit in your wardrobe, think twice.
- Take care of your clothes. There’s no need to wash your car in your new work suit. By taking care of your garments, you can extend their useful lives. Follow instructions on label. Hang drying or air drying adds considerable life to all clothes.
- Get clothes repaired or altered instead of buying something new.
- Think long and hard about clothes that need to be dry cleaned. Dry cleaning processes frequently involve the use of perc (also known as tetrachloroethylene), which is a known carcinogen. Silk, wool, and linen can often be washed by hand instead of dry cleaned. If professional cleaning is necessary, try finding a green cleaner that uses either liquid carbon dioxide or water (know as wet cleaning). Use Earth 911 to find local wet cleaners. In the San Francisco Bay Area, try Elephant Pharm. In New York, try Green Apple Cleaners.
- Wash your clothes with care. Use the lowest temperature setting. Turn garments inside out. Use biodegradable laundry detergent and line dry when you can. Use nontoxic stain removers. Look for Energy Star washing machines.
- Buy vintage.
- Buy organic and sustainable. Do your research. Make sure the products you get are actually what you think they are (organic doesn’t always mean made without toxic chemicals). Check out Nau, Enamore, The Green Loop, Patagonia, and others. Also, check out BTC Elements for a sustainable boutique.
- Buy fair-trade. Check out SweatShop Watch, Behind The Label, Altiplano and Ten Thousand Villages for more information.
- Reuse or reinvent. Make an old pair of jeans into cut-off shorts.
- If you find something in the back of your closet that you just don’t want anymore, instead of sending it to the landfill, take it to Goodwill, Salvation Army, or Freecycle it.
Related Forum Threads
- Know your clothes are "green!" Last post on 11/10/13 at 10:36pm in Personal Care & Clothing
- Project Runway has an eco-fashionista? Last post on 10/16/08 at 3:40pm in Personal Care & Clothing
- Sustainable fabrics in clothing -- bamboo the next frontier? Last post on 11/10/08 at 12:52pm in Personal Care & Clothing
- What did you do today? Last post on 3/4/11 at 9:37pm in Take Action Near You
- Glass Recycle Week's New Website for Kids Last post on 9/13/10 at 10:28am in Babies & Kids
Green Thrift Store Shopping Tips
Last edited: 9/26/11
- Dry CleaningLast edited: 6/18/08
- Places To Shop For Eco Friendly Clothes In NycLast edited: 9/26/11
- Cutting Down On Waste This Holiday Season
Alphabetical Article List
How To Green Your ClothingPosted 12/6/07 • Last updated 7/19/12 • 539 views • 0 comments
- Dry Cleaning
Currently, there are 64 Active Users (0 Members and 64 Guests)
- › Recipe: Gluten-Free Vegan Mac & Cheeze! 2 days, 5 hours ago
- › New landscaping ideas? 2 weeks, 6 days ago
- › E-Twow electric kick scooter 2 weeks, 6 days ago
- › Xootr scooters - great green way to stay fit 2 weeks, 6 days ago
- › Manufacturers and retailers, introduce yourselves! 2 weeks, 6 days ago
- › <h1>Need Moisture in Your Home Air? Think Warm Mist Ultrasonic... 3 weeks, 1 day ago
- › How Air Conditioning Systems Can Save Resources (and money!) 3 weeks, 4 days ago
- › Social Activism for Teens 3 weeks, 4 days ago
- › Who has the most recycling responsibilty - consumers or Starbucks? 4 weeks ago
- › California motorcycle driving test = killer! on 2/28/15
- › Tuwago B3-12DPRO 12-watt BR30 Flood LED Lamp by paul518
- › Mineral Fusion Natural Brands Eye Pencil, Coal, 0.04 Ounce by smallone
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by stins
- › Lucky Earth Waterless Car Wash by stins
- › Method Dish Soap by stins
- › Seventh Generation Natural Toilet Bowl Cleaner by stins
- › Fiber Element Bamboo sheet set by tw6852
- › Brush with Bamboo - Ecological Bamboo Toothbrush Family Pack by jtangerine
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Organic 4th of July Cocktails
- › Tips on Grocery Shopping
- › Making Your Breakfast Organic
- › Eco-Friendly Car Washing
- › Guide to Method Home Products
- › Best All Purpose Cleaners
- › Best Natural Bathroom Cleaners
- › Thinking Outside the Rooftop
- › The Role of Politics in the Planning of Wind...
- › How to distinguish poor quality LED light and...