Related Forum Threads
- Save more money on organic food Last post on 10/3/12 at 8:45pm in Healthy Food & Beverage
- Which is greener: Local or organic food? Last post on 1/29/10 at 11:07am in Featured Debates
- Eco-Advertising Campaigns -- From Clever To Cliche, What Really Compels You To Make A Difference... Last post on 12/11/09 at 11:30am in Other Green Stuff & Green Services
- Tofurkey -- From Respectable Thanksgiving Meat Alternative To Veggie-rific Soda Flavor?!? Last post on 11/16/09 at 12:28pm in Healthy Food & Beverage
- Eating Locally appears less important in terms of GHG. Last post on 2/25/09 at 12:30pm in Healthy Food & Beverage
Meat And Poultry Food Labels
Edited on 8/15/08
- Eco CookingEdited on 9/26/11
- Seasonal ProduceEdited on 5/13/08
- Mothers Day Green Gift Guide
Related Blog Posts
Hyperlocavores, Yardsharing, and Distributed Urban CSA Farms
Published on 4/25/09 by greenUPGRADER
Mission Pie is a Fun San Francisco Cafe that Features Local Farms for the City
Published on 12/20/08 by Eat.Drink.Better
- topicLocal Food
Alphabetical Article List
How To Eat LocalPosted 12/01/07 • Last updated 03/30/11 • 149 views • 0 comments
Local food has a lot of great benefits. Local produce is much fresher because it doesn't travel long distances to get to you (it is picked and sold to you closer to when it will be ripe). And this lack of long distance travel of course saves all that fossil fuel needed to transport the food. Buying local also pumps money into your local economy (much more than buying food produced or grown far away). And that's just to name a few!
Interested in learning more about sustainable and local food issues? Check out this great interview with Diane Hatz, founder and director of Sustainable Table.
- Don't be afraid to ask where your food comes from. As much as you can, pick things that aren't grown half way around the world.
- Go to your local farmers market. Find foods like fruit and vegetables, eggs, fish, and meat! Not only will you cut down the transportation emissions associated with your foodies, you'll also get stuff that usually is riper AND tastes better.
- Try smaller, local co-ops or ask about local food at Whole Foods.
- Eat in season. A lot of times, we forget that every food (well, almost every food) has a season. Instead of opting for strawberries in November (assuming it's fall for you), try an apple!
- Have some fun at a you-pick farm. Many of these farms offer different berries, peaches, pumpkins, and other good stuff.
- If you live on the coast, it's likely that there are active fishers in your area. Look into either buying local, sustainably caught fish directly from fishers or from a fish market.
- If you're a meat eater, look into grass-fed (and local) options with the help of Eat Wild.
- Check out Local Harvest for information on farmers market, CSAs (community supported agriculture), farms, grocery stores, and restaurants that offer local and organic food in your area.
- Check out Food Routes for local food info and where to find local farms, UPick areas, fruit stands and more.
- Eco Cooking
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 1 day, 5 hours ago
- › The Avanti Group News Articles: Pre-engineered CHP systems 2 days, 2 hours ago
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery 2 days, 15 hours ago
- › The Trouble with Asbestos Disposal 2 days, 15 hours ago
- › Avanti pr code 81345782170 Hong Kong Engineering - the avanti group... 3 days ago
- › Crown Eco Jakarta Capital Management Reviews: Eco-Friendly Housing... 3 days ago
- › Event Boiler News - ZIMBIO 3 days ago
- › Crown Capital Eco Management Jakarta Reviews 3 days, 2 hours ago
- › Crown Capital Eco Management : World's First Algae House Produces... 4 days ago
- › Welcome to the community! Introduce yourself 4 days, 2 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru
- › Report Anticipates 220 New Gigawatts of... by SolarReviews
- › Mosaic’s Latest Solar Project Sends... by SolarReviews
- › Google, Cisco are Coolest IT Companies, Says... by SolarReviews
- › Car or Motorcycle? A Stunning New Electric... by GreenJobsGuru