Related Forum Threads
- Foods that the health experts won't eat! Last post on 11/24/12 at 12:28pm in Healthy Food & Beverage
- Apparently high fructose corn syrup is (almost) good for you Last post on 9/21/08 at 9:15am in Healthy Food & Beverage
- FDA Ok's Irradiating food Last post on 9/4/08 at 4:49am in Environmental News and Politics
- Cool new stickers for fake organic products Last post on 8/12/10 at 5:15pm in Take Action Near You
- Hunting for Safe Foods Last post on 6/16/10 at 10:56am in Take Action Near You
Long List Of Green Freebies And Budget Helpers
Edited on 7/8/11
- Ingredients To AvoidEdited on 12/17/08
- His And Her ProductsEdited on 4/27/10
- Green Cooking Tips How To Store Your Food
Related Blog Posts
10 Baking Soda Beauty Recipes
Published on 10/6/10 by FeelgoodStyle
5 Green Products: Nature Baby Organic Wool and Cotton Clothes to Marie Veronique Organics Kid...
Published on 9/12/10 by EcoChildsPlay.com
Can Someone Explain “Organic Tobacco” to Me?
Published on 2/11/10 by Eat.Drink.Better
Eating Vegan: Where do You Get Your Protein?
Published on 2/11/10 by Eat.Drink.Better
Real Road Food: Eat Green and Healthy While Traveling (Roti Recipe Included)
Published on 1/30/10 by Eat.Drink.Better
Alphabetical Article List
Green Pocket GuidesPosted 8/13/08 • Last updated 1/17/11 • 1021 views • 0 comments
These days, there's tons of stuff to avoid...seafood with mercury...produce covered in pesticides...chemicals in cosmetics. But how do you keep it all straight? Have no fear. Green pocket guides (or wallet guides or cell phone accessible guides) can be your back up when you forget what's good for you and what's not.
Here's a run down of some of your (free) options for seafood, plastic, restaurants, produce, and cosmetics.
Format Guide Name & Source Description Pocket/wallet (PDF) Pocket seafood selector from Environmental Defense Fund This pocket guide outlines all the best, ok, and worst choices for seafood. It has information on choices that are low (or high) in environmental contaminants, as well as which choices are high in omega-3 fatty acids. Pocket/wallet (PDF) 2008 Seafood Watch Pocket Guides for the US (as well as 6 regional guides) from the Monterey Bay Aquarium The new 2008 guides offer best, ok, and worst choices for seafood on a national scale, for the west coast, southwest, Hawaii, central US, southeast, and northeast. They also come in Spanish. Cell phone guide Seafood Watch mobile guide from Monterey Bay Acquarium Log on to "mobile.seafoodwatch.org" for the latest mobile pocket guide. Cell phone guide Seafood selector from Environmental Defense Fund Visit m.edf.org/seafood on your cell phone to get the EDF Seafood Selector (complete with health and environmental information). Cell phone guide FishPhone from Blue Ocean Institute To find out about your seafood choice, text 30644 with the message FISH and the name of the fish in question. They’ll text you back with an assessment and better alternatives to fish with significant environmental concerns. For their mobile guide, log on to http://www.fishphone.org/ on your phone.
Smart Shopper's Plastic Picks from The Green Guide
Healthy Teethers and Pacifiers from Healthy Child Healthy World
Healthy Toys from Healthy Child Healthy World
This guide goes over plastics 1-7 and tells you which to use, which to avoid, and what products commonly use those types of plastic.
This guide gives advice for selecting teethers and pacifiers made from natural materials and plastic ones that do not contain BPA or phthalates.
This guide gives advice for selecting toys made from natural materials and finding plastic toys that do not contain BPA or phthalates.
Pocket/wallet (PDF) Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce from FoodNews.org (Environmental Working Group) This guide tells you which types of produce rank as the highest 12 (worst) and lowest 12 (best) in terms of pesticide use.
Organic Essentials from the Organic Center
Healthy Formula and Food from Healthy Child Healthy World
This guide is a nice (visually pleasing) run-down of which conventional domestically grown and imported fruits and vegetables pose the greatest risk for pesticide exposure (i.e. which types of produce you should buy organic).
This guide explains which formulas are safest (low or no BPA contamination, which baby foods are best, and tips for reducing children's exposure to contaminants in food.
Pocket/walled (PDF) Chefs Collaborative Restaurant Guide from Stonyfield Farms and Chefs Collaborative This guide gives you a list of 160 restaurants (and their locations) all over the US that promote sustainable cuisine.
Pocket/wallet (PDF) The Dirty Dozen from The Green Guide This cut-to-the-chase list gives you the names of 12 ingredients to avoid in personal care products.
Pocket beauty guide from Ideal Bite
Healthy Baby Care Products from Healthy Child Healthy World
Healthy Mommy Care Products from Healthy Child Healthy World
Healthy Sunscreens from Healthy Child Healthy World
This wallet guide tells you the top 5 synthetic chemicals to avoid in your beauty products.
This guide outlines what ingredients to avoid in baby care products, which products are safer, recipes for safer alternatives, and tips for reducing chemical exposures.
This guide lists which ingredients to avoid in women's care products and cosmetics, which products are safer, and tips for reducing exposure to chemicals.
This guide lists ingredients to avoid in sunscreens, tips for safely using sunscreens, and the safest sunscreens to purchase.
- Ingredients To Avoid
- › Earth Day: Top 5 best ways to Green your home for less 1 week, 3 days ago
- › Which is greener: bidets or toilet paper? 1 week, 3 days ago
- › Has anyone tried Sanre organic skinfood products? 2 weeks ago
- › Recommendations for Green Apps? 2 weeks, 6 days ago
- › The EV-Hater's Guide to Hating Electric Cars 3 weeks ago
- › Your Running Shoes’ Carbon Footprint 3 weeks, 3 days ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost through Boiler Efficiency 3 weeks, 3 days ago
- › Conservation before Generation 4 weeks ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 4 weeks, 1 day ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 4 weeks, 1 day ago
- › Fiber Element Bamboo sheet set by tw6852
- › Brush with Bamboo - Ecological Bamboo Toothbrush Family Pack by jtangerine
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › Thinking Outside the Rooftop by SolarReviews
- › The Role of Politics in the Planning of Wind... by leahjarratt
- › How to distinguish poor quality LED light and... by floodlights
- › How to Recycle With House Clearances by Fleur
- › Starwood Hotels & Resorts Starts its... by SolarReviews
- › How to choose qualified LED lighting by floodlights
- › Build Your Green Home by Thomas Caulen
- › Brazil Prepares for the 2014 World Cup With... by SolarReviews
- › How to choose healthy environmental... by floodlights
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery by SamsonEd