Related Forum Threads
- Hunting for Safe Foods Last post on 6/16/10 at 10:56am in Take Action Near You
- Canned food may have more BPA than previously thought Last post on 5/20/10 at 7:59am in Healthy Food & Beverage
- How do you choose organic food? Last post on 5/20/10 at 2:54pm in Healthy Food & Beverage
- Organic food decreases exposure to environmental chemicals and cancer Last post on 9/19/12 at 5:23pm in Healthy Food & Beverage
- Department of Agriculture wants organic rules enforced Last post on 4/13/10 at 11:58am in Healthy Food & Beverage
How To Green Your Lunch
Edited on 3/30/11
- The Dirty Dozen Must Have Organic Fruits And VeggiesEdited on 7/21/09
- How To Make Your Own Solar Food DehydratorEdited on 3/30/11
- Hazards Of Eating Sushi
Related Blog Posts
Sharing Recipes at Hangin’ with sustainablog
Published on 1/11/13 by sustainablog
Come Hang with sustainablog to Share Your Favorite Recipes
Published on 1/9/13 by sustainablog
Sometimes, It’s OK to Turn Into a Pumpkin: 5 DIY All-Natural Pumpkin Beauty Recipes
Published on 11/26/12 by sustainablog
Edible Weeds: 7 Recipes for Dandelion
Published on 2/9/12 by sustainablog
Edible Weeds: 7 Recipes for Stinging Nettle (that aren’t Soup or Tea)
Published on 1/25/12 by sustainablog
- categoryFood Drink
Alphabetical Article List
Green Cooking Tips How To Store Your FoodPosted 08/03/09 • Last updated 03/30/11 • 632 views • 0 comments
Between single-serving containers and non-recyclable plastics, there are few places that serve as better examples of wasteful behavior than supermarkets. If you know what you're looking for and how to repurpose items, you can become an aware shopper and make the best choices for you and the planet.
Clearly, recycled and recyclable packaging are your best options. Items that use as little packaging as possible are also much more environmentally friendly than, say, single-serving containers. When weighing packaging pros and cons, keep this hierarchy in mind:
1. Glass wins out over canned or plastic.
While it does use more energy to manufacture and recycle, it doesn't contain the harmful chemicals that plastics and metals have. Be sure to reuse the glass containers over and over again to lessen the carbon footprint.
2. Canned produce wins out over frozen.
That being said, most cans and many frozen containers are lined with a material containing BPA. There are brands, though, such as Eden, that are BPA-free.
3. Paperboard wins out over canned, plastic or frozen options.
It is recyclable and uses less energy to manufacture, fill, and ship.
How to reduce packaging:
- Always bring your own reusable grocery bags. For a host of brands, check this out the eco-bag reviews.
- Bring reusable bags and containers for produce and bulk items. Take a look at the L-Bag Reusable Produce Bag.
- Never buy bottled water.
- Avoid single-serving containers.
- Consider powdered mixes rather than liquid drinks or frozen concentrates.
- Buy meats and cheeses from the deli rather than purchasing them in foam and plastic containers.
How to reuse containers:
- Use glass jars, such as pasta sauce jars, for food storage. They make a great alternative to plastic containers. They can also be microwaved without leaching toxins into your food.
- Instead of buying salad dressing containers, mix or make your own and store it in glass jars.
- Buy in bulk, making sure you use your own bags for transport and glass jars or other reusable containers for storage.
- The Dirty Dozen Must Have Organic Fruits And Veggies
- › Conservation before Generation 2 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 1 day, 12 hours ago
- › The Tyler Group News Blog Reviews: China factory PMI | Imdb 1 day, 13 hours ago
- › Anger Management: How To Deal With Anger 1 day, 20 hours ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 1 day, 20 hours ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 1 day, 20 hours ago
- › Industrial Steam Boilers 1 day, 21 hours ago
- › My list of Fakers and Not Fakers 2 days, 4 hours ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 3 days, 19 hours ago
- › The Avanti Group News Articles: Pre-engineered CHP systems 4 days, 16 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Earl—A Solar Tablet for the Wanderlust... by SolarReviews
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru
- › Report Anticipates 220 New Gigawatts of... by SolarReviews
- › Mosaic’s Latest Solar Project Sends... by SolarReviews
- › Google, Cisco are Coolest IT Companies, Says... by SolarReviews