Related Forum Threads
- How stupid are these diapers? Last post on 9/13/09 at 6:18pm in Babies & Kids
- False Organics Last post on 8/18/10 at 7:06pm in Personal Care & Clothing
- ECO-posters: green billboards? greenwashing? Last post on 10/16/09 at 9:27am in Other Green Stuff & Green Services
- Every Drop Matters Last post on 5/3/11 at 10:00am in Home & Garden
- Talk about "Anything but Green"! Last post on 3/5/09 at 6:51pm in Anything Goes
List Of Fakers And Not Fakers
Edited on 10/27/12
- Great Greenwashed AdvertisingEdited on 4/29/11
- Advertising As A Greenwashing ToolEdited on 5/14/08
- How To Identify GreenwashingEdited on 3/30/11
Related Blog Posts
The Seven Sins of Greenwashing
Published on 4/15/09 by EcoChildsPlay.com
Greenwash Of The Week: BP -Not Exactly Beyond Petroleum.
Published on 4/15/09 by The Good Human
Greenwash Of The Week: SC Johnson Website.
Published on 4/7/09 by The Good Human
What It Doesn't Mean To Be Green.
Published on 4/7/09 by The Good Human
How To Detect If You Are Being Greenwashed.
Published on 1/21/09 by The Good Human
Alphabetical Article List
Great Green AdvertisingPosted 7/5/08 • Last updated 1/17/11 • 1082 views • 0 comments
The Best Green Ads
Who said global warming isn't a laughing matter?
In September 2003, Environmental Defense created the Undo It campaign to get the word out about the urgency of curbing climate change...but they did it in a very witty way - "There are things you can't undo. Global warming we can."
We talk a lot about Greenwashing, but here are several other examples of organizations and companies spreading a sustainable message using the only message we hear: humor, wit, and sex. See something missing? Join and add away...
The Greenfamily Youth Association of Environmental Protection in China put up this..err...rather striking visual imagery to really gross people out about water pollution.
(click to enlarge)
The wall of a pool isn't the most likely home for a poster about climate change. But here you have one! This ad was painted straight onto the tiles of a pool by Naga DDB Malaysia as part of a Regional Environmental Awarenss campaign.
(click to enlarge)
Who doesn't love billboards that change? This clever billboard ad from WWF was put up for SaveOurClimate.ca. Of course, not too many people make a habit of standing and watching a billboard all day. But luckily, there are time lapse videos.
Clever spots for renewable energy
In 2006, Solon, a solar power provider in Germany, launched a campaign with a film called "Hail - The Return of the Sun." It's a little long (a whole two minutes) - and in case you can't quite tell from the YouTube version what is is falling from the sky...they're batteries. Lots and lots of batteries.
Epuron, a subsidiary of Conergy AG, produced another favorite video. It's called "Power of Wind" and we're not the only ones who think it's clever. It in fact won a Golden Lion at International Advertising Festival in Cannes.
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) has been fighting for clean buses for quite some time. In April 2000, they got the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) to commit to a fleet-wide strategy to reduce emissions from its 4,200 diesel buses...buses which produced "huge quantities of asthma attack-inducing particulate matter, more than 40 carcinogens, and high quantities of smog-forming nitrogen oxides." Part of the fight included running ads on the back of MTA buses to raise awareness. Along with the ad below, another read "Meet New York's Heaviest Smoker."
Sexy cleaning products
Yep...you read that right. Cleaning products CAN be sexy. Method does a nice job with this online ad for their hardwood floor cleaner. You might have also seen the print version with the tag line "Make floor love, not floor war."
Here's a funny commercial from Planet Green about conserving energy:
Denver Water has a pretty clever way to get the word out about conservation...while they (of course) really aim to get people to cut down on their water consumption, it's applicable across the board. Of course...if you're trying to sit on the bench, it might be annoying.
- Great Greenwashed Advertising
- › Earth Day: Top 5 best ways to Green your home for less 1 week, 4 days ago
- › Which is greener: bidets or toilet paper? 1 week, 4 days ago
- › Has anyone tried Sanre organic skinfood products? 2 weeks, 1 day ago
- › Recommendations for Green Apps? 3 weeks ago
- › The EV-Hater's Guide to Hating Electric Cars 3 weeks, 1 day ago
- › Your Running Shoes’ Carbon Footprint 3 weeks, 4 days ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost through Boiler Efficiency 3 weeks, 4 days ago
- › Conservation before Generation 4 weeks, 1 day ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 4 weeks, 2 days ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 4 weeks, 2 days ago
- › Fiber Element Bamboo sheet set by tw6852
- › Brush with Bamboo - Ecological Bamboo Toothbrush Family Pack by jtangerine
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › Thinking Outside the Rooftop by SolarReviews
- › The Role of Politics in the Planning of Wind... by leahjarratt
- › How to distinguish poor quality LED light and... by floodlights
- › How to Recycle With House Clearances by Fleur
- › Starwood Hotels & Resorts Starts its... by SolarReviews
- › How to choose qualified LED lighting by floodlights
- › Build Your Green Home by Thomas Caulen
- › Brazil Prepares for the 2014 World Cup With... by SolarReviews
- › How to choose healthy environmental... by floodlights
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery by SamsonEd