Related Forum Threads
- Huddler story time: Going to West Coast Green Last post on 12/8/08 at 2:02pm in Take Action Near You
- 100% Post Consumer or a mixture? Last post on 7/24/08 at 8:09pm in Other Green Stuff & Green Services
- Sustainable fabrics in clothing -- bamboo the next frontier? Last post on 11/10/08 at 12:52pm in Personal Care & Clothing
- Flooring, countertops, radiant heating, and more Last post on 7/25/08 at 10:59am in Home & Garden
Modular Case And Wall Systems
Edited on 4/9/08
- Salvaged Or Reused MaterialsEdited on 4/9/08
- Reduce Reuse Recycle And ReinvestEdited on 4/9/08
- Carpet And Flooring
Alphabetical Article List
Production experts report that organic cotton fibers have the same fiber strength, length and other properties as conventional cotton. Organic cotton is produced in organic agricultural systems that produce food and fiber according to clearly established standards. Organic agriculture prohibits the use of toxic and persistent chemical pesticides and fertilizers, as well as genetically modified organisms. It seeks to build biologically diverse agricultural systems, replenish and maintain soil fertility, and promote a healthy environment. Organic Cotton still uses massive amounts of fresh water which is a problem.
Hemp is one of the longest, strongest natural fibers on earth, two or three times stronger than cotton. It can be grown in just about any climate and, with the proper cultivation and rotation practices, without the need for chemical pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, and fertilizers. It tends to be mold, bacteria, heat and ultraviolet light resistant. 100% hemp yarn has similarities with other cellulose fibers - the closest being linen. Majority of Hemp with a quality suitable for textiles is produced in China.
- Certified as a Cradle to Cradle Biological Nutrient by MBDC
- Designed to meet the performance requirements for office furniture seating fabric and features a range of colors.
Soy Protein Fiber
Soy Protein Fiber is a man made fiber chemically produced from tofu manufacturing waste (sometimes). Soy protein is liquefied and then extruded into long, continuous fibers that are then cut and processed like any other spinning fiber. The texture of this yarn feels like a cross between cotton and linen. It is very difficult to achieve accurate and consistent dye quality.
Tencel has become popular as a fiber to replace rayon for clothing. Tencel is the brand name of Corsadi BV for this fiber. The generic name is Lyocell. It is a strong cellulose fiber with a soft hand, very low shrinkage, high wrinkle resistance and good drape. The process uses non- toxic solvent that is recycled. Tencel itself is completely biodegradable. It is made from wood pulp.
Bamboo is another rayon like fiber similar to Tencel. The exact process is very secretive though since made by only two companies in China that consider it a trade secret. Not considered eco friendly or sustainable and many times incorrectly advertised as organic. Very weak wet tensile strength and claims of antibacterial properties have been disproved by independent labs.
- Exceeds industry standards for indoor air quality and optimized materials
- Uses 100% Recycled Polyester
- Certified Cradle to Cradle by MBDC
- Cradle to Cradle certified by MBDC
- Wall covering products made from DesignTex textiles.
- Made from 100% Recycled PET Bottles
- Uses range from clothing, blankets, carpets, wall coverings, auto interiors, home furnishings, and craft felt
DesignTex Cradle to Cradle Textiles
- Completely compostable nutrient designed to turn back into soil at the end of its useful life
- Every dye chemical is non-toxic
- The water flowing out of the plant at the end of the manufacturing process is safe to drink,and all waste trimmings are pressed into felt to be used as mulch
- Cradle to Cradle Biological Nutrient certified by MBDC
- Responds to the need for an environmental,flame retardant product
- Complies with all industrial flame codes worldwide
- Like Climatex Lifecycle, it uses ecologically optimized production processes,so it's safe for biological cycles
- Made from a combination of wool and the cellulose fiber, Redesigned Lenzing FRTM, from beechwood; both are organically grown renewable resources.
- Cradle to Cradle Biological nutrient certified by MBDC
- The first fully environmentally defined synthetic textile
- Cradle-to-Cradle Technical Nutrient certified by MBDC
- Designed to be perpetually recycled into a product of equal or greater value
- It's the only polyester produced without the use of antimony. Instead, it uses an environmentally safe titanium.
- The manufacturing process uses fewer dye chemicals,less water and less energy.
- All dyestuffs and auxiliary chemicals have been optimized for safety.
- Meets or exceeds the performance characteristics of conventional polyester and is priced comparably
Teratex Recycled Polyester
- Made of 100% recycled fiber from post-consumer and post-industrial recycled yarns.
- Is produced using increasingly sustainable manufacturing processes that reduce waste,emissions,energy consumption,water usage and toxic substances
- Quality and performance standards meet or exceed those of fabric manufactured with virgin materials and by conventional processes
Zeftron Contex Dyed Nylon
- An evolution of a proven environmentally-friendly nylon fiber system
- Accompanied by a take -back program for easy,systematic product recycling at the end of its use
Redux Dyed Polyester
- Six patterns made of 100% recycled solution-dyed polyester
- Performs like a solution-dyed yarn, but has the environmental properties of a recycled polyester
- Ideal for seating,upholstered walls and panel applications
- Redux panel fabrics offer 100% recycled solution-dyed polyester construction,are made from post-industrial waste or a combination of post-consumer recycled and post-industrial recycled fibers
[originally published on GreenDesignWiki.com]
- Salvaged Or Reused Materials
- › Reducing Energy Cost through Boiler Efficiency 3 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Your Running Shoes’ Carbon Footprint 1 day, 7 hours ago
- › Crown Capital Management Jakarta Indonesia: Pentalver Launch... 1 day, 12 hours ago
- › Crown Eco Jakarta Capital Management Reviews: Eco-Friendly Housing... 1 day, 12 hours ago
- › SAFE GREEN CLEANING PRODUCTS FOR BABIES/KIDS 2 days, 21 hours ago
- › Least expensive green products? 2 days, 21 hours ago
- › Conservation before Generation 3 days, 19 hours ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 5 days, 5 hours ago
- › The Tyler Group News Blog Reviews: China factory PMI | Imdb 5 days, 7 hours ago
- › Anger Management: How To Deal With Anger 5 days, 13 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery by SamsonEd
- › Running Shoes's Heavy Tread on O-Zone by SamsonEd
- › New NASA Technology Set to Watch Rocketing... by SamsonEd
- › Earl—A Solar Tablet for the Wanderlust... by SolarReviews
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru