Related Forum Threads
- Buying non-green toys for your child Last post on 8/17/10 at 8:34am in Babies & Kids
- Homemade Toys for the Holidays Last post on 3/1/10 at 5:24am in Babies & Kids
- For Pregnant Mama's in/near Los Angeles, CA & Portland, OR Last post on 2/3/09 at 4:54pm in Babies & Kids
- CPSIA Law Last post on 7/7/09 at 3:07pm in Babies & Kids
- Living in a Fisher Price World... Last post on 1/14/09 at 6:26pm in Babies & Kids
10 Easy Steps To Green Parenting
Edited on 7/8/08
- Natural Ways To Heal And Prevent Nappy RashEdited on 1/24/11
- Having An Eco BabyEdited on 9/26/11
Related Blog Posts
LEGO Upcycling Ideas: What to Do with those Extra LEGO Bricks
Published on 5/14/12 by sustainablog
What’s Safe and What’s Not? How Toys Stack Up
Published on 12/19/11 by EcoChildsPlay.com
How to Raise an Eco-Friendly Puppy
Published on 4/18/11 by sustainablog
5 “Green” Products: RuMe, Mighty Nest/Tree Hopper, O’bon, SmartyPants, PlanetBox
Published on 3/20/11 by EcoChildsPlay.com
5 Green Products: k & j Sunprotective Clothing, Magic Bean Wishes, Aqueduck, Baby Bullet,...
Published on 2/20/11 by EcoChildsPlay.com
Alphabetical Article List
Eco And Kid Friendly ToysPosted 06/16/08 • Last updated 09/26/11 • 1161 views • 1 comment
How To Identify Eco- and Kid- Friendly Toys
- What materials are the toys made of? Start by identifying what materials were used to create the toy. Good natural material options include wood, organic cotton and other fabrics (some folks like leather), and recycled metal. Choose toys which are made with natural, easily recyclable, or recycled materials. Avoid toys made with plastic (typically these toys end up in the landfill and also may contain BPA which is harmful to your children).
- Where are the toys made? The location where the toy is manufactured has a large impact on its green factor. Many toys are produced in China and have a large carbon footprint resulting from the shipping distance. Support your local businesses by choosing local toymakers.
- How durable is the toy? Help the planet and your pocketbook by choosing toys that won't break 10 minutes after you get them home. Toys that are durable can be passed down even after your child outgrows them. Choose toys with good construction and made with quality materials.
- Can the toy eventually be recycled? Many toys will eventually find their final resting place in a landfill - if you can, choose toys that have recyclable or compostable components.
Who makes Eco-Friendly Toys?
Planet Happy Kids offers a wide variety of toys ranging from wooden blocks to dollhouses made from recycled cardboard.
Earth To Kid offers beautiful wooden blocks, buses, choo choo whistles, and baby rattles.
What can I do with old toys?
- Consider organizing a Toy Swap. Once a year, get together with other neighborhood families to exchange toys your child no longer plays with for something new and exciting. Recycling old toys instead of buying new saves resources.
- Donate old toys to Goodwill/Salvation Army/etc, or check if there's a local school program or women's shelter that could use some donated toys.
For other kid-friendly suggestions, check out the Having An Eco Baby wiki.
- Natural Ways To Heal And Prevent Nappy Rash
Currently, there are 165 Active Users (0 Members and 165 Guests)
- › SAFE GREEN CLEANING PRODUCTS FOR BABIES/KIDS 1 day, 1 hour ago
- › Least expensive green products? 1 day, 1 hour ago
- › Conservation before Generation 1 day, 23 hours ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 3 days, 10 hours ago
- › The Tyler Group News Blog Reviews: China factory PMI | Imdb 3 days, 11 hours ago
- › Anger Management: How To Deal With Anger 3 days, 17 hours ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 3 days, 17 hours ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 3 days, 18 hours ago
- › Industrial Steam Boilers 3 days, 18 hours ago
- › My list of Fakers and Not Fakers 4 days, 1 hour ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Earl—A Solar Tablet for the Wanderlust... by SolarReviews
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru
- › Report Anticipates 220 New Gigawatts of... by SolarReviews
- › Mosaic’s Latest Solar Project Sends... by SolarReviews
- › Google, Cisco are Coolest IT Companies, Says... by SolarReviews