Related Forum Threads
- Know your clothes are "green!" Last post on 5/8/13 at 9:58pm in Personal Care & Clothing
- Project Runway has an eco-fashionista? Last post on 10/16/08 at 3:40pm in Personal Care & Clothing
- Sustainable fabrics in clothing -- bamboo the next frontier? Last post on 11/10/08 at 12:52pm in Personal Care & Clothing
- No mercury cap-and-trade system Last post on 2/8/08 at 12:29pm in Environmental News and Politics
- Environmental Protection Agency issues final ruling for greenhouse gas regulations Last post on 5/15/10 at 2:54pm in Environmental News and Politics
Places To Shop For Eco Friendly Clothes In Nyc
Edited on 9/26/11
- Green Thrift Store Shopping TipsEdited on 9/26/11
- How To Green Your ClothingEdited on 7/19/12
- Plants That Naturally Detox Your Air And Improve Indoor Air Quality
Related Blog Posts
Vegan Shoe Shopping Made Easy
Published on 10/11/10 by FeelgoodStyle
New Coco Eco Magazine :: 20 Inspirational Women
Published on 9/15/10 by FeelgoodStyle
Recycled Leather Handbags from ReFind Originals
Published on 9/15/10 by FeelgoodStyle
Bike Chic: Cycling Gets Stylish [slideshow]
Published on 9/13/10 by FeelgoodStyle
The GreenShows :: NY Fashion Week
Published on 9/10/10 by FeelgoodStyle
Alphabetical Article List
Your outfit says “Dry Clean Only”?
Sometimes you can handwash these items- cool water, very gently (hand powered) agitation, and line drying is safe for many garments that masquerade as "dry clean only." But for your most treasured (or expensive) items, there are more environmentally friendly options.
The most common method of dry cleaning uses the toxic solvent and probable carcinogen perchloroethylene, commonly referred to as “perc.” The state of California has enacted a ban on perc, starting in 2023. The first step, banning dry cleaners from buying machines that require perc, has already taken place. By July 2010, any machines using perc that are 15 years or older must be phased out. Perc has contaminated one in 10 wells in California. It is the worst dry cleaning choice for the environment, and for your health.
There are several alternatives to perc dry cleaning (which still accounts for about 85% of dry cleaners).
Best Option- Wet cleaning- uses water and non-toxic, biodegradable detergents in computer-controlled washers and dryers before ironing or steam pressing. Wet cleaning produces no toxic air or water pollution, and is very energy efficient. The Center for Neighborhood Technology found 90% of customers gave wet cleaning "good or excellent" ratings, but in a 2003, Consumer Reports were less than impressed. It is noted by Peter Sinsheimer, director of the Pollution Prevention Center at Occidental College, that wet cleaning technology is more sophisticated today. Wet cleaning detergents and waste water usually drains directly into the public sewers, and it is possible that there may be some unknown potential environmental effects of the detergents used. However, this is widely considered the most environmentally friendly option.
Best Option- Liquid carbon dioxide- uses CO2 that has been captured from existing industrial and agricultural emissions. Since this method recycles CO2, it does not contribute to global warming. However, the detergents used in CO2 cleaning do contain some volatile organic compounds (VOCs). In 2003, Consumer Reports considered CO2 cleaning to be comparable to perc cleaning, and rated it as the best cleaning method with regard to shrinkage, discoloration, and preservation of texture. Special detergents have been developed for CO2 cleaning methods, so if you choose a CO2 cleaner, ask if their detergents are environmentally friendly. If a cleaner says it uses liquid CO2, ask if they use a Solvair machine. Solvair cleaners may call themselves liquid CO2 cleaners, since they use liquid CO2 as a rinse. Solvair machines replace perc with glycol ether, suspected by the EPA to be a toxin and a possible hormone disrupter.
Other Options- Hydrocarbon solvents- use petroleum-based chemicals that are less toxic than perc, but can't be labeled environmentally safe until considerably more testing is done. Hydrocarbon solvents could be toxic or contain VOCs. The EPA and the Coalition for Clean Air have asked for further testing to determine the safety of hydrocarbon solvents for the environment and whether they are toxic to people.
Other Options- Siloxane- uses a chemical less toxic than perc, that left in the environment will degrade within days into silica, water, and CO2. Although siloxane is not chlorinated itself, it is manufactured using chlorine, which releases carcinogenic dioxin emissions. The EPA considers siloxane to be a possible carcinogen.
When you choose a cleaner, ask what specific methods and chemicals they use.
Consider the specific fabric: wet cleaning methods are the most environmentally friendly and safe cleaning method, but CO2 cleaning might be your best option for an expensive tailored wool jacket or a brightly colored rayon blouse. Wet methods are fine for silks.
- Green Thrift Store Shopping Tips
- › SAFE GREEN CLEANING PRODUCTS FOR BABIES/KIDS 1 day, 3 hours ago
- › Least expensive green products? 1 day, 3 hours ago
- › Conservation before Generation 2 days, 1 hour ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 3 days, 11 hours ago
- › The Tyler Group News Blog Reviews: China factory PMI | Imdb 3 days, 13 hours ago
- › Anger Management: How To Deal With Anger 3 days, 19 hours ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 3 days, 19 hours ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 3 days, 20 hours ago
- › Industrial Steam Boilers 3 days, 20 hours ago
- › My list of Fakers and Not Fakers 4 days, 3 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Earl—A Solar Tablet for the Wanderlust... by SolarReviews
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru
- › Report Anticipates 220 New Gigawatts of... by SolarReviews
- › Mosaic’s Latest Solar Project Sends... by SolarReviews
- › Google, Cisco are Coolest IT Companies, Says... by SolarReviews