Related Forum Threads
- DYI Wind turbines Last post on 5/14/09 at 12:15pm in Renewable Energy
- how to make organic skin care products? Last post on 1/11/13 at 1:28pm in Personal Care & Clothing
- Bird food Last post on 4/14/09 at 9:50am in Home & Garden
- Tips When Making Homemade Soap Last post on 4/3/09 at 7:04pm in Healthy Food & Beverage
- Homemade solar panels/wind turbines Last post on 4/4/13 at 2:04pm in Renewable Energy
How To Make Your Own Solar Food Dehydrator
Edited on 3/30/11
- Homemade Face Masks And Skin CareEdited on 9/26/11
- Homemade Cleaner Recipes And TipsEdited on 8/8/12
- Keep Your Winter Heating Bills Low
Related Blog Posts
5 Last-Minute Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
Published on 5/9/13 by greenUPGRADER
Mother’s Day Gift Idea: Blue Ribbon Brooch
Published on 5/7/13 by greenUPGRADER
5 Wine Cork Crafts
Published on 5/2/13 by greenUPGRADER
Spotted: Wine Cork Pendants
Published on 4/30/13 by greenUPGRADER
5 Ways to Reuse Cereal Boxes and Organize Your Life!
Published on 4/26/13 by greenUPGRADER
Alphabetical Article List
Diy Liquid Laundry Detergent Step By Step
One of the things I have always disliked about laundry is the expense and the waste of time. I'm fortunate to have a washer and dryer in my current apartment -- though the dryer is electric and I only use it as a last resort in the winter to dry sheets and blankets (everything else is hung on hangers around the apartment). Most of the year, I hang my clothing to dry on the line.
Detergent is always expensive - liquid detergent is a waste because you're basically buying water - powdered detergent comes with its own issues. I read about making your own laundry detergent several months ago and have been planning for the day when I finally used up my box of Biokleen powdered detergent.
While the ingredients are all basically the same - bar soap, borax and washing soda -- proportions vary widely as do the amounts you use. One powdered recipe recommends using only 1T or 2T, and the liquid detergent recipes vary between from 1/8 to 1 cup. One of the biggest variables in the liquid detergents seems to be the amount of water added -- recipes calling for 2 gallons are around 1/4-1/2 cup soap for a load, and recipes calling for a 5 or 10 gallon bucket have you putting up to 1 cup in the wash. I live in a small apartment - the idea of using a small 2 gallon bucket (with lid) that fits under the sink appeals to me.
Since I am cutting down on driving (like to 200 miles per month average since December), I like to link trips as much as possible. Yesterday I drove into San Francisco and left my car for an oil change (prematurely - at 6K miles, I'll wait until 10K or next June), then I went and did errants. I picked up Borax ($5.29 for 76 oz) and washing soda ($0.60 per lb) at Rainbow Grocery. They no longer carry Fels Naptha, so I picked up a couple bars of Kirk's Coco Castille (saponified coconut oil) "just in case." My brother helpfully checked around and informed me that the Pastime Ace on San Pablo (where I planned to find a bucket) carries Fels Naptha -- so I picked up James and we went back to the East Bay to the hardware store.
So, I invested in a bucket with a lid -- buying more plastic was not part of the general idea of making my own laundry detergent but my last bucket only lasted 12 years and died a month ago. I ended up buying a second bucket for floor cleaning and watering the garden. This morning I realized I need some kind of container to store my fertilizer ingredients per Crunchy Chicken's gardening challenge (and watering the garden is going to be another experiment - I have to visit my friend Dave about the 55 gal drum/spigot gravity drip hose with a battery powered timer system he uses).
Costs (including tax):
Bucket & Lid
Ingredients (per batch)
- Borax ($5.73 for 76 oz box = $0.07 per oz) 1/2 c weighs 2 7/8 oz - $0.20
- Fels Naptha ($1.40 for 4 oz bar) 1/3 bar - $0.47
- Washing Soda ($0.65/lb = $.04 per oz) - 1/2 c weighs 5 1/8 oz - $0.205
Total Cost for 2-Gallon batch of laundry detergent: $0.875
64 loads at 1/2 c. soap per load
$0.014 per load
If I include the cost of the bucket, my first batch comes to $0.11 per wash (or less if I use 1/4 per load).
The powdered soap I was using costs something like $0.11 and liquid soap costs a bit more.
- Dissolve 1/3 bar grated Fels Naptha soap in hot water.
- Add 1/2 cup washing soda and 1/2 cup Borax to hot water.
- Pour hot tap water and soap mixure into bucket and stir. Let sit overnight before using.
Tip Nut has about
Crystal Miller has a recipe with
See also recipes from:
- Homemade Face Masks And Skin Care
- › My list of Fakers and Not Fakers 5 hours, 10 minutes ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 1 day, 19 hours ago
- › The Avanti Group News Articles: Pre-engineered CHP systems 2 days, 17 hours ago
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery 3 days, 5 hours ago
- › The Trouble with Asbestos Disposal 3 days, 5 hours ago
- › Avanti pr code 81345782170 Hong Kong Engineering - the avanti group... 3 days, 14 hours ago
- › Crown Eco Jakarta Capital Management Reviews: Eco-Friendly Housing... 3 days, 15 hours ago
- › Event Boiler News - ZIMBIO 3 days, 15 hours ago
- › Crown Capital Eco Management Jakarta Reviews 3 days, 17 hours ago
- › Crown Capital Eco Management : World's First Algae House Produces... 4 days, 15 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru
- › Report Anticipates 220 New Gigawatts of... by SolarReviews
- › Mosaic’s Latest Solar Project Sends... by SolarReviews
- › Google, Cisco are Coolest IT Companies, Says... by SolarReviews
- › Car or Motorcycle? A Stunning New Electric... by GreenJobsGuru