Related Forum Threads
- eco-shaped bottles? Last post on 4/11/11 at 12:13am in Other Green Stuff & Green Services
- See Disneynature’s OCEANS on Earth Day 2010! Last post on 4/14/10 at 2:29pm in Other Green Stuff & Green Services
- Drowning in plastic: Save the Bay video Last post on 4/29/09 at 12:37pm in Environmental News and Politics
- SNL Junk Mail video Last post on 5/23/09 at 7:55am in Take Action Online
- Every Drop Matters Last post on 5/3/11 at 10:00am in Home & Garden
Edited on 6/12/08
- What Is A Het High Efficiency ToiletEdited on 9/12/08
- Bisphenol AEdited on 1/17/11
- Cut Energy Bills With Pioneer Day
Related Blog Posts
Recycled Plastic Vs. Hybrid Corn/Plastic - Which One Makes A Better Trash Bag?
Published on 9/30/08 by The Good Human
Bacteria-Busting Reminder to Wash Reusable Bags [Video]
Published on 4/26/11 by greenUPGRADER
Reusable Bag Campaign Gets It Right, Then Gets It Wrong
Published on 9/7/10 by greenUPGRADER
Handmade Reusable Lunch Bag
Published on 8/3/09 by greenUPGRADER
What Do You Get When You Turn a Soccer Ball Inside Out?
Published on 5/21/09 by greenUPGRADER
Alphabetical Article List
Cutting Down Plastic Bags Going To The DumpPosted 12/06/07 • Last updated 09/29/11 • 1437 views • 0 comments
The inevitable question is "paper or plastic?" The plastic bag people say they’re saving trees by not using paper bags. The paper bag people say they’re keeping plastic bags from getting into the ocean and harming the fish. How can you get around this predicament?
- Consider not getting a bag at all if you are buying something small or easy to carry. Really now ... do you need a bag to carry your sandwich to work? No, probably not.
- Use canvas/cloth bags. They are reusable and much prettier than either plastic or paper.
- Check out biodegradable bags. We often buy plastic bags for our kitchens and our bathrooms ... but sometimes, a biodegradable bag will do the trick! These will decompose in landfills or in compost, which means the waste is eliminated from the bag.
- Don't forget about reusable bags for produce items! Either sew your own smaller bags, or check out some already-made, eco-chic options.
- Try adopting something like the Japanese furoshiki. The furoshiki is traditional piece of cloth used to transport food, clothes, or gifts. But in this case, the cloth can be folded in such a way that it replaces a bag. Japan’s Ministry of the Environment has recommendations of common ways to fold a furoshiki (see below)
Click the picture to get a larger view:
- Reuse the plastic bags you already have! Plastic bags that have already made their way into your life can be used for: doggie bags (i.e. poop scoopers), packing materials (instead of bubble wrap, although bubble wrap is awfully fun), garbage bags (in your car, in your bathroom, wherever), you could even make a beach bag with "plastic bag crochet" techniques!
- Recycle the plastic bags you can't use. Sometimes your curbside recycling with accept plastic bags...if not, try taking Type 2 and Type 4 bags to your local grocery store (Safeways and Walmarts accept plastic bags for recycling). Try Plasticbagrecycling.org for a look up of where you can drop your bags.
- What Is A Het High Efficiency Toilet
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 1 day, 9 hours ago
- › The Tyler Group News Blog Reviews: China factory PMI | Imdb 1 day, 10 hours ago
- › Anger Management: How To Deal With Anger 1 day, 16 hours ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 1 day, 16 hours ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 1 day, 17 hours ago
- › Industrial Steam Boilers 1 day, 17 hours ago
- › My list of Fakers and Not Fakers 2 days ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 3 days, 15 hours ago
- › The Avanti Group News Articles: Pre-engineered CHP systems 4 days, 12 hours ago
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery 5 days, 1 hour ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Earl—A Solar Tablet for the Wanderlust... by SolarReviews
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru
- › Report Anticipates 220 New Gigawatts of... by SolarReviews
- › Mosaic’s Latest Solar Project Sends... by SolarReviews
- › Google, Cisco are Coolest IT Companies, Says... by SolarReviews