Related Forum Threads
- Huddler story time: Going to West Coast Green Last post on 12/8/08 at 2:02pm in Take Action Near You
- Transbay Terminal Gets Thumbs Up for Construction Last post on 6/5/08 at 8:56am in Environmental News and Politics
- Hemp Houses - the Next Step in Green Building Last post on 9/13/10 at 3:30pm in Home & Garden
- Dubai Syscraper to Integrate a Solar Thermal Tower Last post on 7/23/09 at 3:43pm in Renewable Energy
- Forbes: Denmark, which has a carbon cap, is “the best country for business in the world” Last post on 10/2/09 at 6:39pm in News & Policy
Modular Case And Wall Systems
Edited on 4/9/08
- Salvaged Or Reused MaterialsEdited on 4/9/08
- Reduce Reuse Recycle And ReinvestEdited on 4/9/08
- Carpet And Flooring
Related Blog Posts
Eco-friendly designs for children’s rooms
Published on 4/17/13 by EcoChildsPlay.com
Beyond Recycling: On the Road to Zero Waste
Published on 11/12/12 by sustainablog
Sustainable Opportunities & Challenges for the Fashion World: A Review of a Lecture by Dr....
Published on 10/18/12 by sustainablog
Sustainable Fashion Designer Tara St. James Shares Inspiration for Fall Collection, Green Closet...
Published on 7/24/12 by sustainablog
Throwaway Economy Headed for Junk Heap of History
Published on 7/13/12 by sustainablog
Alphabetical Article List
Cradle To Cradle DesignPosted 04/09/08 • Last updated 04/20/08 • 306 views • 0 comments
The following principles of sustainable design were penned by William McDonough, author of Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things. These guidelines serve as an excellent place to start on the path to understanding sustainable design in any field.
- 1. Insist on rights of humanity and nature to co-exist in a healthy, supportive, diverse and sustainable condition.
- 2. Recognize interdependence. The elements of human design interact with and depend upon the natural world, with broad and diverse implications at every scale. Expand design considerations to recognizing even distant effects.
- 3. Respect relationships between spirit and matter. Consider all aspects of human settlement including community, dwelling, industry and trade in terms of existing and evolving connections between spiritual and material consciousness.
- 4. Accept responsibility for the consequences of design decisions upon human well-being, the viability of natural systems, and their right to co-exist.
- 5. Create safe objects of long-term value. Do not burden future generations with requirements for maintenance of vigilant administration of potential danger due to the careless creation of products, processes or standards.
- 6. Eliminate the concept of waste. Evaluate and optimize the full life-cycle of products and processes, to approach the state of natural systems, in which there is no waste.
- 7. Rely on natural energy flows. Human designs should, like the living world, derive their creative forces from perpetual solar income. Incorporate the energy efficiently and safely for responsible use.
- 8. Understand the limitations of design. No human creation lasts forever and design does not solve all problems. Those who create and plan should practice humility in the face of nature. Treat nature as a model and mentor, not and inconvenience to be evaded or controlled.
- 9. Seek constant improvement by the sharing of knowledge. Encourage direct and open communication between colleagues, patrons, manufacturers and users to link long term sustainable considerations with ethical responsibility, and re-establish the integral relationship between natural processes and human activity.
- Basics of Sustainable Design
- Video of a short lecture by William McDonough describing Cradle to Cradle can be found here.
[originally published on GreenDesignWiki.com]
- Salvaged Or Reused Materials
- › SAFE GREEN CLEANING PRODUCTS FOR BABIES/KIDS 15 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › Least expensive green products? 16 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › Conservation before Generation 1 day, 13 hours ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 3 days ago
- › The Tyler Group News Blog Reviews: China factory PMI | Imdb 3 days, 1 hour ago
- › Anger Management: How To Deal With Anger 3 days, 8 hours ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 3 days, 8 hours ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 3 days, 8 hours ago
- › Industrial Steam Boilers 3 days, 9 hours ago
- › My list of Fakers and Not Fakers 3 days, 16 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Earl—A Solar Tablet for the Wanderlust... by SolarReviews
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru
- › Report Anticipates 220 New Gigawatts of... by SolarReviews
- › Mosaic’s Latest Solar Project Sends... by SolarReviews
- › Google, Cisco are Coolest IT Companies, Says... by SolarReviews