Related Forum Threads
- New Fuel Economy Labels Will Help Americans Save Gas and Cut Pollution Last post on 9/12/10 at 10:00am in Transportation
- BMW to produce a carbon fiber EV in 2013 Last post on 10/27/10 at 2:00pm in Transportation
- Driving too much - bad for the earth and may increase skin cancer risk! Last post on 5/15/10 at 3:06pm in Transportation
- Honda to Begin Sales of Commercial Use Electric Scooter EV-neo, in December 2010 Last post on 7/3/11 at 9:44pm in Transportation
- Kia unveils a new concept plug-in hybrid Last post on 2/13/10 at 12:59am in Transportation
Green Car Care
Edited on 9/26/11
- Hydrogen CarsEdited on 5/17/11
- Maximize Fuel Economy With Traditional FuelsEdited on 9/26/11
- Epa Fuel Economy Testing
Alphabetical Article List
BMW EfficientDynamics is a range of related technologies that reduce fuel consumption and emissions while simultaneously improving performance. The programme forms the core of BMW’s ACEA commitment to reduce its average CO2 emissions across its vehicle range to 140g/km by 2008 (a reduction of approximately 25% compared to 1998). In achieving this, BMW is helping to shape the future of driving by pioneering the ultra-efficient engines of tomorrow.
BMW EfficientDynamics is rolling out across the BMW model range. These innovative new technologies are designed to maximise the efficiency of the internal-combustion engine and deliver significant environmental and cost savings to customers, e.g:
- Auto Start-Stop. Stops the engine automatically whenever the car comes to rest and is taken out of gear – for example, at traffic lights – and restarts the second the clutch pedal is depressed, saving fuel and reducing emissions.
- Intelligent Alternator Control/Brake Energy Regeneration This monitors battery condition, engaging the alternator only when the battery requires recharging. This reduces the demands on the engine, reducing fuel consumption and emissions. In addition, when the car’s brakes are applied or when coasting downhill, this system automatically engages the alternator to charge the battery, recycling energy that would otherwise be wasted.
- Optimum Shift Indicator. This is a small visual display on the car’s instrument cluster which shows the optimum gear for any driving situation. This gives drivers the opportunity to adopt a more fuel-efficient driving style.
- Lightweight Engineering. The use of advanced lightweight materials, such as thermoplastics, aluminium and magnesium alloy, reduce the overall weight of the vehicle, enhancing driving dynamics and improving fuel economy.
- Electric Power Steering. By using an electric motor to assist the steering, the system is not only lighter in weight than a conventional hydraulic power steering, thereby reducing fuel consumption and emissions - but assistance can also be varied to aid the driver at lower speeds.
- Reduced Rolling Resistance Tires. When a vehicle is being driven, the tyres are constantly flexing, a process which uses both fuel and energy. Special heat-resistant, anti-distortion materials are used in the sidewalls and tread of the tyres to reduce this tyre flexing and therefore lower emissions and improve fuel economy.
- Low-friction Fluids. Reducing fluid friction in an engine helps minimise wasted energy and, consequently, fuel consumption and emissions. BMW uses low-friction transmission fluid, engine oil and final drive fluid to help the vehicle run more smoothly and efficiently.
- Active Aerodynamics. Actively controlled air flaps regulate air flow to the engine and braking systems. By opening and closing these flaps, the engine is able to reach its operating temperature quicker, whilst vehicle drag is also reduced - helping the car move through the air more easily and reducing fuel consumption and emissions.
- High-precision Direct Injection. An enhanced direct fuel injection system offering an even more precise mix of fuel and air. The fuel is injected at high pressure and in extremely accurate quantities, resulting in better performance and reduced fuel consumption.
A video on the topic:
- Hydrogen Cars
- › Earth Day: Top 5 best ways to Green your home for less 1 week, 5 days ago
- › Which is greener: bidets or toilet paper? 1 week, 5 days ago
- › Has anyone tried Sanre organic skinfood products? 2 weeks, 2 days ago
- › Recommendations for Green Apps? 3 weeks, 1 day ago
- › The EV-Hater's Guide to Hating Electric Cars 3 weeks, 2 days ago
- › Your Running Shoes’ Carbon Footprint 3 weeks, 5 days ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost through Boiler Efficiency 3 weeks, 5 days ago
- › Conservation before Generation 4 weeks, 2 days ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 1 month ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... on 5/20/13
- › Fiber Element Bamboo sheet set by tw6852
- › Brush with Bamboo - Ecological Bamboo Toothbrush Family Pack by jtangerine
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › Thinking Outside the Rooftop by SolarReviews
- › The Role of Politics in the Planning of Wind... by leahjarratt
- › How to distinguish poor quality LED light and... by floodlights
- › How to Recycle With House Clearances by Fleur
- › Starwood Hotels & Resorts Starts its... by SolarReviews
- › How to choose qualified LED lighting by floodlights
- › Build Your Green Home by Thomas Caulen
- › Brazil Prepares for the 2014 World Cup With... by SolarReviews
- › How to choose healthy environmental... by floodlights
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery by SamsonEd