Related Forum Threads
- Kaiser Permanente Launches Sustainability Scorecard for Medical Products Last post on 5/4/10 at 11:00am in Personal Care & Clothing
- INCREDIBLE How Negative Society Affects When Kids SELF-Wean! Last post on 10/28/10 at 2:30pm in Babies & Kids
- Foods that the health experts won't eat! Last post on 11/24/12 at 12:28pm in Healthy Food & Beverage
- Shaklee Last post on 10/22/12 at 10:23pm in Home & Garden
- Should I use glass bottles or BPA free bottles? Last post on 12/13/10 at 7:30pm in Babies & Kids
Long List Of Green Freebies And Budget Helpers
Edited on 7/8/11
- How To Green Your Exercise RoutineEdited on 5/12/11
- Green Pocket GuidesEdited on 1/17/11
- Baby Powder Information
Related Blog Posts
Harvesting Justice 10: Small Farms Fight Back – Food and Community Self-Governance
Published on 4/16/13 by sustainablog
Sugar vs. Salt Body Scrubs: Recipes & Tips to Make All-Natural Skincare Remedies
Published on 4/12/13 by sustainablog
Harvesting Justice #7: The True Cost of Industrialized Food
Published on 3/26/13 by sustainablog
Harvesting Justice #3: Food and Land at the Service of People – An Interview with Peter Rosset
Published on 2/26/13 by sustainablog
Cultivating a Better Food System in 2013
Published on 12/20/12 by sustainablog
Alphabetical Article List
Bisphenol APosted 08/06/08 • Last updated 01/17/11 • 522 views • 0 comments
Bisphenol A, or more commonly known as BPA, is an organic compound present in certain types of plastic.
Bisphenol A is an endocrine disruptor and has been linked to insulin resistance and obesity, miscarriage, breast cancer, prostate cancer and much more.
Uses of Bisphenol A
According to Our Stolen Future, Bisphenol A is now deeply imbedded in the products of modern consumer society, not just as the building block for polycarbonate plastic (from which it then leaches as the plastic ages) but also in the manufacture of epoxy resins and other plastics, including polysulfone, alkylphenolic, polyalylate, polyester-styrene, and certain polyester resins.
Its uses don't end with the making of plastic. Bisphenol A has been used as an inert ingredient in pesticides (although in the US this has apparently been halted), as a fungicide, antioxidant, flame retardant, rubber chemical, and polyvinyl chloride stabilizer.
These uses create a myriad of exposures for people. Bisphenol A-based polycarbonate is used as a plastic coating for children's teeth to prevent cavities, as a coating in metal cans to prevent the metal from contact with food contents, as the plastic in food containers, refrigerator shelving, baby bottles, water bottles, returnable containers for juice, milk and water, micro-wave ovenware and eating utensils.
Other exposures result from BPA's use in "films, sheets, and laminations; reinforced pipes; floorings; watermain filters; enamels and vanishes; adhesives; artificial teeth; nail polish; compact discs; electric insulators; and as parts of automobiles, certain machines, tools, electrical appliances, and office automation instruments" (Takahashi and Oishi 2000).
BPA contamination is also widespread in the environment. For example, BPA can be measured in rivers and estuaries at concentrations that range from under 5 to over 1900 nanograms/liter. Sediment loading can also be significant, with levels ranging from under 5 to over 100 µg/kg (ppb) BPA is quite persistent as under normal conditions in the environment it does not readily degrade (Rippen 1999).
How To Avoid BPA Leaching
- Buy BPA-free plastics (avoid #7 PC). Call the manufacturer if you are unsure.
- Do not microwave plastics or use plastics for warm food or beverages.
- Avoid canned foods (the lining of the cans usually contains BPA). If you use formula, opt for powdered.
Manufacturers of BPA-Free Products
This excerpt is taken from a post at Safemama.com - for an up to date list of BPA free bottles and other products (including Sippy Cups and Milk Storage containers), visit her up to date listing.
- Adiri Natural Nursers
- Avent “Via” disposable bottles
- BornFree: All bottles and cups BPA free
- EvenFlo: Glass bottles, Classic Tinted Polypropylene bottles
- Playtex: Original Nurser, Opaque Soft Bottle (discontinued), Playtex Drop in liners
- Gerber: Gerber Clear View, Fashion Tints (”Plastic Pastels”), Gerber GentleFlow
- Medela: All bottles
- Sassy MAM bottles (UltiVent), Baby Food Nurser Kit
- Green to Grow Bottles
- Sassy Baby Food Nurser Kit
- ThinkBaby Bottles
- Momo Glass Bottles
- Munchkin: Dora the Explorer Classic Bottles
- Nuby: Standard Neck Non-Drip Bottle, Wide-Neck Non-Drip Bottle, Wide-Neck Bottle with Handles and Non-Drip Nipple, Standard Neck Bottle with Handles and Non-Drip Nipple, 3-Stage Wide Neck Easy Grip Feeding System with Non-Drip Nipple.
- Nuture Pure Glass bottles
- Babisil Silbottles
- Weego Glass Bottles
- Siliskin Glass Bottles
- Dr Brown’s: Glass Bottles (all vent system pieces BPA Free), Dr. Browns Polypropylene bottles (due in store’s April 15th)
- Parent’s Choice Bottles (available at Walmart) - box is marked BPA Free
For more information, visit Safemama.com
You can also find more information about BPA, how to avoid it, and safer products at Healthy Child Healthy World.
- How To Green Your Exercise Routine
- › Crown Capital Eco Management Jakarta News 2 hours, 44 minutes ago
- › Crown Jakarta Capital Eco Management News: Green Investment Bank 3 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › Crown Jakarta Capital Eco Management News : Households to get... 3 hours, 58 minutes ago
- › Your Running Shoes’ Carbon Footprint 9 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › Reducing Energy Cost through Boiler Efficiency 17 hours, 43 minutes ago
- › Crown Capital Management Jakarta Indonesia: Pentalver Launch... 2 days, 2 hours ago
- › Crown Eco Jakarta Capital Management Reviews: Eco-Friendly Housing... 2 days, 3 hours ago
- › SAFE GREEN CLEANING PRODUCTS FOR BABIES/KIDS 3 days, 11 hours ago
- › Least expensive green products? 3 days, 12 hours ago
- › Conservation before Generation 4 days, 10 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery by SamsonEd
- › Running Shoes's Heavy Tread on O-Zone by SamsonEd
- › New NASA Technology Set to Watch Rocketing... by SamsonEd
- › Earl—A Solar Tablet for the Wanderlust... by SolarReviews
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru