Related Forum Threads
- Alcohol Fuel anyone? This is the ultimate renewable energy! Last post on 3/7/09 at 5:09pm in Renewable Energy
- Extracting energy from algae Last post on 3/4/09 at 11:35am in Science
- San Francisco introduces a grease recycling program Last post on 12/9/08 at 1:58pm in Environmental News and Politics
- States in the US continue to install renewable energy sources Last post on 9/22/08 at 3:14pm in Renewable Energy
- What's the best (or worst) form of renewable energy? Last post on 8/20/09 at 9:59pm in Featured Debates
Edited on 6/30/08
- Super Seed That Powers A CarEdited on 6/14/08
- Palm OilEdited on 5/30/08
Related Blog Posts
MIT Study Says Cellulosic Ethanol Could Have “Unintended” Environmental Consequences
Published on 2/24/09 by Gas2.org
More Businesses Turning To Waste Veggie Oil For Vehicles… and More
Published on 2/20/09 by Gas2.org
First Commercial-Scale Biofuel Plant from Waste Operational Within a Month
Published on 1/16/09 by Cleantechnica
First Commercial Jet Flight Using Jatropha Biodiesel a Success
Published on 12/30/08 by Gas2.org
Ethanol Distiller Can Recycle Brewery Waste To Fuel Vehicles
Published on 12/11/08 by Gas2.org
Alphabetical Article List
Algae BiofuelPosted 06/23/08 • Last updated 07/26/11 • 8372 views • 0 comments
A promising biofuel option for the future is oil from algae. Shell recently announced that it is partnering with HR Biopetroluem to create a facility on a Hawaiian island that will grow microalgae to be used as biofuel. Algae fuel is classified as a third-generation biofuel. Additionally, due to the high-density yield of algae biofuels, one acre of land is able to produce 100-420 Mb of biodiesel.
Is It Worth It?
Pros of Algae Fuels
- Biodiesel from algae is a highly carbon negative process, meaning more carbon is absorbed than emitted in producing and burning the biofuel.
- Large amounts of algae biofuels can be produced on small amounts of land because the algae can be grown vertically.
- Because it can be grown vertically, algae has the potential for huge oil production levels.
- Growing alge requires low amounts of fertilzer and pesticides, and less water than most other biofuels.
Cons of Algae Fuels
The technology isn't ready yet, and requires large amounts of energy.
Companies Developing Algae Fuel Technologies
- Blue Marble Energy is a Seattle based company pioneering algae growth and bio-chemical recovery technology to convert human waste streams into inputs for energy and industry. Basically, they find algae-infested polluted water systems, cleans up the environment, and turns the algae into biofuel. Besides, they've published numerous articles, essays and research papers about the waste disposal. BME focuses on encouraging wild algae growth in nutrient rich wastewater as well as converting environmental nuisance algae into reusable inputs. This lowers the costs of waste treatment, as well as the environmental costs of algae decay - quite contrary to conventional algae growth strategies being funded today.
- Inventure Chemical pioneers the processes that allow biofuel developers to ultimately make the dream of affordable biofuels a reality by the application of cost effective conversion and processing methods working with a variety of feedstocks - from algae produced from CO2 emissions to exotic and not so exotic oil seeds and biomass. They are working on an algae-to-jet product.
- Solena develops, builds, owns and operates renewable bio-energy plants worldwide. Using state of the art patented plasma technology and algae systems, Solena’s plants produce clean, reliable electricity, using no fossil fuels and no CO2 emissions. They use high temperatures to gasify algae and other organic substances with high-energy outputs.
- GreenFuel Technologies Corporation recycles carbon dioxide from flue gases to produce biofuels and feed. GreenFuel uses a portfolio of technologies to profitably recycle CO2 from smokestack, fermentation, and geothermal gases via naturally occurring species of algae. Algae can be converted to transportation fuels and feed ingredients or recycled back to a combustion source as biomass for power generation. Industrial facilities need no internal modifications to host a GreenFuel algae farm. In addition, the system does not require fertile land or potable water. They recently reached an agreement to build their first fuel plant in Europe.
- Solazyme is a synthetic biology company that unleashes the power of marine microbes to create clean and scalable solutions for the renewable energy, industrial chemical, and specialty ingredient markets.
- Super Seed That Powers A Car
- › Your Running Shoes’ Carbon Footprint 21 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › Crown Capital Management Jakarta Indonesia: Pentalver Launch... 1 day, 2 hours ago
- › Crown Eco Jakarta Capital Management Reviews: Eco-Friendly Housing... 1 day, 3 hours ago
- › SAFE GREEN CLEANING PRODUCTS FOR BABIES/KIDS 2 days, 11 hours ago
- › Least expensive green products? 2 days, 12 hours ago
- › Conservation before Generation 3 days, 9 hours ago
- › Ban Plastic Water Bottles 4 days, 20 hours ago
- › The Tyler Group News Blog Reviews: China factory PMI | Imdb 4 days, 21 hours ago
- › Anger Management: How To Deal With Anger 5 days, 4 hours ago
- › Boiler-House Renovation at Unilever Saves 25% Energy with VLT Aqua... 5 days, 4 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery by SamsonEd
- › Running Shoes's Heavy Tread on O-Zone by SamsonEd
- › New NASA Technology Set to Watch Rocketing... by SamsonEd
- › Earl—A Solar Tablet for the Wanderlust... by SolarReviews
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru