Related Forum Threads
- Environmental Protection Agency issues final ruling for greenhouse gas regulations Last post on 5/15/10 at 2:54pm in Environmental News and Politics
- Kaiser Permanente Launches Sustainability Scorecard for Medical Products Last post on 5/4/10 at 11:00am in Personal Care & Clothing
- Foods that the health experts won't eat! Last post on 11/24/12 at 12:28pm in Healthy Food & Beverage
- Shaklee Last post on 10/22/12 at 10:23pm in Home & Garden
- Trim the Fat, Save the Earth? Last post on 1/6/09 at 10:30am in Healthy Food & Beverage
Low Or No Voc Adhesives
Edited on 4/9/08
- Plants That Naturally Detox Your Air And Improve Indoor Air QualityEdited on 1/27/11
- Solve Indoor Air PollutionEdited on 10/5/12
- How To Green Your Exercise Routine
Related Blog Posts
Harvesting Justice 10: Small Farms Fight Back – Food and Community Self-Governance
Published on 4/16/13 by sustainablog
Sugar vs. Salt Body Scrubs: Recipes & Tips to Make All-Natural Skincare Remedies
Published on 4/12/13 by sustainablog
Harvesting Justice #7: The True Cost of Industrialized Food
Published on 3/26/13 by sustainablog
Harvesting Justice #3: Food and Land at the Service of People – An Interview with Peter Rosset
Published on 2/26/13 by sustainablog
Cultivating a Better Food System in 2013
Published on 12/20/12 by sustainablog
Alphabetical Article List
Why should you be concerned about air pollution?
Studies have shown that exposure to air pollution, particularly particulate matter, is harmful to your health. Exposure to air pollution has been linked to increases in hospital admissions and mortality related to respiratory illness and diseases. A World Health Organisation (WHO) study suggested that particular matter air pollution reduced the life expectancy of Europeans by 8.6 months, and that reducing this air pollution would save up to $161 billion euros.
Indoor Air Pollution
Air pollution is usually measured outdoors and usually measures point sources of pollution, such as factories, or linear sources, such as high volume roads. Yet most of our time is spent indoors where our air quality is affected by other sources of pollution such as smoking, gas burners, mold, and VOC's.
Modern homes are far more air tight than earlier generations which can lead to additional air quality problems. To qualify as an energy efficient house under many programs a blower test must be conducted to certify the leaks in the home shell are within acceptable limits.
Indoor air pollution can be reduced using filter systems. One type of such system that also helps control heating/cooling costs is called Heat Recovery Ventilation (HRV). Air is picked up from certain rooms via ducting, goes the the central unit where it passes through a heat exchanger and is exhausted to the atmosphere. Fresh air comes in through the opposite side of the heat exchanger is is delivered through ducting to specified rooms.
The incoming air is heated/cooled in the heat exchanger to conserve energy spent in conditioning the air in the home. If the suction points are areas where mold may be a problem this system will assist in preventing mold growth.
Humidity can be controlled by a properly designed HRV system.
Air Pollution in Your Area
In the USA:
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reports air pollution by State and County.
The US EPA and Google Earth have created a service that allows you to easily find out how air pollution affects your neighborhood. With this Google Earth feature, you are are able to find the sources of air pollution in your neighbourhood, as well as information about the type and quantity of air pollution from each source.
- Plants That Naturally Detox Your Air And Improve Indoor Air Quality
- › Reducing Energy Cost Through Boiler Efficiency 1 hour, 53 minutes ago
- › The Avanti Group News Articles: Pre-engineered CHP systems 23 hours, 20 minutes ago
- › Britain Needs EU to Save Its Greenery 1 day, 11 hours ago
- › The Trouble with Asbestos Disposal 1 day, 11 hours ago
- › Avanti pr code 81345782170 Hong Kong Engineering - the avanti group... 1 day, 21 hours ago
- › Crown Eco Jakarta Capital Management Reviews: Eco-Friendly Housing... 1 day, 21 hours ago
- › Event Boiler News - ZIMBIO 1 day, 21 hours ago
- › Crown Capital Eco Management Jakarta Reviews 1 day, 23 hours ago
- › Crown Capital Eco Management : World's First Algae House Produces... 2 days, 21 hours ago
- › Welcome to the community! Introduce yourself 2 days, 22 hours ago
- › Ed Phillips & Sons Co. Prairie Organic Vodka by CWeller
- › Coeconut 100% Organic Vegan Lip Balm by coeconut
- › Method bloq body lotion by cybergrannie
- › Frazer 3- Tier Clothes Drying Rack by Rubee53
- › Lochinvar Knight Mod/Con boiler by tito
- › Gilden Tree Foot Scrubber by smoore
- › Pegasus Cottage Collection 1.28 GPF Flapperless Toilet by Fredeliot
- › Nature's Path Organic Toaster Pastries by smoore
- › PowerGard by tboysworth
- › GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 by ginnercat
- › Fracking and Solar: Friends, Foes or the... by SolarReviews
- › Tesla Motors, Profitable, Goes on a Hiring Spree by GreenJobsGuru
- › Waste Recycling Facts by Erich Lawson
- › Contaminated Lands Become More Attractive for... by SolarReviews
- › Colored Solar Panels Address Concerns of... by SolarReviews
- › Maker of Revolutionary Ocean Wave Glider... by GreenJobsGuru
- › Report Anticipates 220 New Gigawatts of... by SolarReviews
- › Mosaic’s Latest Solar Project Sends... by SolarReviews
- › Google, Cisco are Coolest IT Companies, Says... by SolarReviews
- › Car or Motorcycle? A Stunning New Electric... by GreenJobsGuru